From the Publisher: E-editions have arrived
Starting this week, you can choose to have your local newspaper delivered to your inbox instead of your mailbox.
The Forest Grove News-Times and Hillsboro Tribune have launched a new e-edition, a digital version of the newspaper that can be viewed anywhere, anytime on your desktop computer, tablet or smartphone. The e-edition comes with some handy, new features that we think you'll like.
Readers have told us that they wanted an alternative to the bulky newspapers crowding their mailboxes each week. Increasingly, readers who did not want to receive a printed newspaper have turned to our websites for local news. Unfortunately, the website still does not do a good job of accommodating all of the stories and information contained in our printed paper, so online readers have been missing out on many features of the newspaper.
The e-edition solves that problem by repackaging pages from the printed paper in a handy, easy-to-read digital format that is mobile-friendly — which means that unlike many websites, it is designed to be read with ease on the small screens of your tablet or smartphone. You can view complete newspaper pages or zoom in on individual ads and stories that can be read, downloaded, printed and shared with friends.
It you're a fan of the environment, you'll appreciate that this paperless option is delivered to your inbox, rather than your mailbox — saving precious natural resources and eliminating the clutter and heft of the printed newspaper that fills up your mailbox each Wednesday.
The e-edition comes with many handy features.
• You can translate stories into Spanish — or 102 other languages. As an English-language newspaper, this feature is especailly exciting for us because it gives non-native English speakers access to news and information about their local community that they may not have access to through other Spanish-language publications that are distributed in the Portland area.
• You can set up keyword alerts to follow the latest developments on your favorite topics. Use it to follow your favorite local sports teams. Or create an alert to follow employment ads in our classified section.
• Easily navigate to death notices, sports, classified ads and other popular sections of the newspaper.
• Download and print the super crossword and other puzzles on our weekly puzzle page.
• Browse or search all recent and archived editions of the local newspaper.
We invite you to try our new e-edition. Use your smartphone to scan the QR code on the front of this week's newspaper, above our masthead, to launch your digital newspaper — or just visit ______.
The digital newspaper is included free with your existing print or digital subscription to either newspaper. If you are not a subscriber, you can read the e-edition free now through September.
Quality local journalism takes time and money, which comes, in part, from paying readers. If you enjoy articles like this one, please consider supporting us.
(It can cost as little as 3 cents a day.)