Various local concert series heat up summer
It's summer outdoor concert season, and free shows abound. Tickets remain for big events at the Oregon Zoo, McMenamins Edgefield and Sunlight Supply Amphitheater, among other venues. Here are listings for outdoor concerts you might want to check out:
The Oregon Zoo features concerts throughout the summer. Some are sold out, some have tickets remaining (listed below). See zooconcerts.com for info and tickets.
• July 14: Bela Fleck and The Flecktones, David Grisman Trio, The Jerry Douglas Band
• July 15: Melissa Etheridge
• July 27: Psychedlic Furs, X
• July 28: Tajmo: The Taj Mahal and Keb' Mo' Band, Alicia Michilli
The McMenamins Edgefield Concerts on the Lawn series in Troutdale continues through the summer, with tickets remaining to many shows (see below). A lot of shows are sold out. See edgefieldconcerts.com for info and tickets.
Across the area
• The Washington County Fair includes ZZ Top, July 28; for more: bigfairfun.com.
• The Northwest String Summit attracts national acts, July 19-22, at Horning's Hideout in North Plains. For more: stringsummit.com.
• The Cathedral Park Jazz Festival takes place in a scenic setting under the historic St. Johns Bridge, July 20-22. For more, see its Facebook page.
• The Washington Park Summer Festival is at the Rose Garden Amphitheater, 410 S.W. Kingston Ave., with the following acts: July 27, Rejoice! Diaspora Dance Theater's "Uprise"; July 28, Opera in the Park, "Tosca"; July 29, Orquestra Pacifio Tropical (psychedelic cumbia).
• From July 27-29, the Northwest World Reggae Festival takes place in Sandy. For more: nwwrf.org.
• Across the Columbia River, the Vancouver Wine & Jazz Festival features plenty of music, Aug. 24-26 at Esther Short Park in Vancouver, Wash. For more: vancouverwinejazz.com.
Portland Concerts in the Park
Portland Parks and Recreation's Summer Free For All includes nightly free concerts in city parks, starting at 6:30 p.m.; see portlandoregon.gov for complete information.
• July 11: Khunamokwst, Matices (Latin)
• July 12: George, Colectivo de Son Jarocho de Portland (Afro-Mexican)
• July 13: Wilshire, Far Out West (funk/blues)
• July 14: Glenhaven, All Together Now (Beatles)
• July 15: April Hill, Rogue Bluegrass Band (acoustic)
• July 16: Sellwood, Lloyd Jones Quartet/LaRhonda Steele (blues/jazz)
• July 17: Mt. Tabor, Midnight Serenaders (swing jazz)
• July 19: McCoy, Oleada (psychedelica/dub)
• July 20: Harrison, Joe Kye (indie rock); Fernhill, Trujillo (Chicano/Mexican rock)
• July 21: Irving, Greydogz (New Orleans funk)
• July 23: Sellwood, Skybound Blue (Americana)
• July 26: Alberta, Joy Tribe (funk)
• July 27: Brentwood, The Mars Roverse (classic rock); Fernhill, Slants (dance rock)
• July 28: Earl Boyles, Naked Luck (indie rock)
• July 29: Wilkes Park, Matices (Latin)
• July 30: Sellwood, Sabroso (Latin)
Quality local journalism takes time and money, which comes, in part, from paying readers. If you enjoy articles like this one, please consider supporting us.
(It costs just a few cents a day.)