This article brought to you courtesy of Paula Walker, of Confluence Law Center, Gresham Outlook Insider Estate Planning Expert.

Paula Walker

At 18, your child is legally an adult. Although you're still their parents, and they still live at home, you no longer have legal access to your 18-year old's medical records or information about their medical condition; nor can you transact business on their behalf should they need you to do so. This becomes especially relevant as your child heads to college, or a gap year between high school and entering college or otherwise ventures forth, independent and ready to be so, but, in emergencies, still looking to you for support and help.

Four documents each young adult should have, are: 1) Healthcare Power of Attorney; 2) HIPAA Authorization; 3) Advance Directive; and 4) Durable Power of Attorney. With these documents in place, whomever the young adult appoints can intervene on their behalf in cases of medical emergency, support them with medical care, have access to medical records as needed, make life and death decisions and manage financial affairs as needed. Without these, you may not be able to speak with medical staff about medical conditions, prescriptions, handle insurance claims, etc.

These documents are a good investment, giving you both give peace of mind so, you can still be there for them if they need you in those fledgling years between childhood and fully independent adulthood.

Your Life. Your Legacy. Your Way.

Teleconferencing Options for Estate Planning.

Confluence Law Center here to help you at the confluences of your life.

Serving Clackamas, Hood River, Wasco, Deschutes, Multnomah, and Washington Counties.

Confluence Law Center

24461 E. Welches Road, Suite 4

P.O. Box 964

Welches, OR 97067