Test your knowledge of the holiday season
Baby, it's cold outside, so warm your neurons — and heart — with The Outlook's holiday quiz. Try your hand at questions 1 through 15, then check below for the correct answers. No peeking! And remember, there may be more than one right answer:
1. Who tried to steal Christmas?
b) Bess Wills
c) The Grinch
d) Jack Frost
2. What did your true love give to you on the eighth day of Christmas?
a) Calling birds
b) Maids a milking
c) Cinnamon rolls from Biscuits Cafe
d) Swans a swimming
3. For most Slavic speakers, Father Christmas goes by the name "Ded Moroz." What's the best literal translation of this title?
a) Mr. Chill
b) Old Man Frost
c) Grandfather Frost
d) The Unbearable Whiteness of Being
4. What is the first name of infamous grouch Scrooge, the main character from "A Christmas Carol"?
5. Which was the last U.S. state to declare Christmas an official holiday?
6. Where did the Nativity take place?
7. What are other names for Santa Claus?
a) Father Christmas
b) St. Nicholas
c) Kris Kringle
d) Edmund Gwenn
8. Fill in the blank: "Yes ____, there is a Santa Claus."
a) Kate Brown
c) Debra Derr
d) Carla Piluso
9. What is the best selling Christmas album of all time, according to "Billboard" magazine?
a) Elvis, "Christmas Album"
b) "Centennial High School Choir Sings Alvin and the Chipmunks"
c) "Miracles" by Kenny G
d) Gresham Design Commission: "Rockin' the Holidaze"
10. Which of these Christmas songs is an acknowledged novelty classic?
a) "All I Want for Christmas is You, a Mount Hood Community College Bond Measure and a Consolidated Multnomah County Drainage District to Better Support Levy Funding
b) "I Saw Mommy Kissing Mayor Shane Bemis"
c) "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer"
d) "Jingle Bemis"
11. What are the hottest toys of Christmas 2017?
b) A Sharon Nesbit bobble-head doll
c) Interactive topographical map of Gresham, Oregon
12. Which of these is not a traditional Christmas food?
b) Hornet nest Doritos
c) Turkey and stuffing
13. In the classic Christmas TV movie, "Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer," what was the name of Rudolph's elfin sidekick, and what did he want to be besides be one of Santa's elves?
a) Cornelius, a plumber
b) Rip, a sculptor
c) Herbie, a dentist
d) Lloyd, a surgeon
14. In what year this century did the the greater Portland area get buried in more than a foot of snow just before Christmas, for the area's second-snowiest December on record?
15. Will it snow on Christmas this year in East Multnomah County?
b) No, unless you're scheduled to work the next day
c) Hold on, let me check my app
d) Hubris! Oh Son of Gresham! Hubris!
1: C, 2: B, 3: B or C, 4: D, 5: A, 6: B, 7: Anything but D, 8: B, 9: A, 10: C, 11: A, 12: B, 13: C, 14: B, 15: B.
Quality local journalism takes time and money, which comes, in part, from paying readers. If you enjoy articles like this one, please consider supporting us.
(It costs just a few cents a day.)