Joshua D. Weber, 22, arrested on Thursday in Fairview on warrants for shooting in Yakima, Washington

OUTLOOK PHOTO: ZANE SPARLING - A camera man stands on the corner of Northeast Halsey Street and 223rd Avenue on Thursday, Dec. 28. A police lockdown and limited evacuation paralyzed parts of Fairview Thursday, Dec. 28, after a fugitive from Washington State sparked a SWAT stand-off that ended with the sound of a single shot.

Joshua D. Weber, of Yakima, is alive and recovering from a gunshot wound after he was surrounded by police inside a residential home near Lincoln and Sixth streets in Fairview, police say.

POLICE PHOTO - Joshua D. Weber, 22A police spokesman declined to explain if the wound was self-inflicted, but press announcements state that SWAT members had formed a perimeter outside the home when they heard the report of a gun.

Earlier that day, U.S. Marshals and Multnomah County Sheriff's deputies tracked the 22-year-old to a Motel 6 in Troutdale, 1610 N.W. Frontage Road, when Weber suddenly took off in a vehicle.

A police pursuit ended after Weber was seen fleeing on foot after he crashed his car near Northeast Halsey Street and 217th Avenue in Fairview. Police subsequently blocked all traffic on Halsey from 207th to 223rd avenues for several hours.

Some residents were told to remain inside their homes and businesses, while others were evacuated during the standoff.

"Different houses were evacuated at different times, so it's a rolling timeline," explained Sgt. Brandon White with the Sheriff's Office.

A Crisis Negotiation Team was communicating with Weber when they heard the sound of a gunshot. Negotiators forced their way into the room inside the home, and Weber then received immediate medical treatment, police say.

Weber was transported to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center in Portland.

No injuries were reported after Weber used a black semi-automatic pistol to open fire on two bail bondsmen in Yakima on Monday, Dec. 11. Weber had forfeited his bail from Rick's Bail Bonds after he skipped a court appearance stemming from charges of theft and obstruction, the Yakima Herald newspaper reported.

On Wednesday, Dec. 21, Yakima SWAT searched the home where the shooting took place, 1509 Fairbanks Avenue, but Weber wasn't home. Police recovered more guns, ammunition and spent shell casings.

"We are holding Mr. Weber on his warrants from the state of Washington," explained Sgt. White on Friday, Dec. 29. "There will be new charges for him."

The Outlook will update this story as new information is made available.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine