Jury determines no criminal prosecution in May incident that left 24-year-old Dmitri Bullard dead

CONTRIBUTED PHOTO: MULTNOMAH COUNTY SHERIFFS OFFICE - Dmitri BullardA grand jury has determined no criminal prosecution is needed in a Gresham officer-involved shooting that left a man dead last month.

The jury announced Monday, June 18, that Gresham officers Joshua Price and Brendon Hayes were justified in using deadly force against 24-year-old Dmitri Bullard.

The shooting happened late at night on May 17 when officers were dispatched to conduct a search following reports of a man prowling vehicles in southeast Gresham. Officers found Bullard driving near Southwest Butler Road and Southeast Regner Road. When they attempted to stop him, Bullard fled. Following department protocol and concerns for public safety, the officers did not pursue.

A short time later, police found Bullard driving normally on Southwest Butler Road near Southeast 190th Drive. The officers again tried to stop him, but Bullard fled. The police did not pursue for a second time. They later found his car crashed on Southwest Pleasant View Drive, with estimates showing he was going about 114 miles per hour before the accident.

When Officers Hayes and Price attempted to speak with Bullard, he exited the vehicle with a hatchet and charged them. The two officers fired their weapons at Bullard, who died at the scene.

Bullard had recently moved to Gresham from Farmington, Utah. According to an obituary posted online by Russon Mortuary & Crematory, Bullard was known for his "big smile, soft heart and gentle nature." He was a talented athlete and loving uncle who had struggled with addiction throughout his life, the obituary stated.

While on the scene of the shooting, KOIN 6 News spoke with a woman who said she was Bullard's girlfriend. She said Bullard went out to get cigarettes and never returned. She learned about the shooting while watching the news. According to KOIN 6, the girlfriend said she didn't know why Bullard would have run at the police.

Price has been employed at the Gresham Department for one year after previously working for another Portland metro agency, while Hayes has been with Gresham for two years.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine