Ajon Webster, 28, shot and killed Adrian Berg in Gresham last year after a confrontation at a picnic

CONTRIBUTED PHOTO: MULTNOMAH COUNTY SHERIFFS OFFICE - Ajon WebsterA man was sentenced to two decades in prison for a shooting at a picnic that left a 32-year-old man dead in Gresham a little over a year ago.

Ajon Webster, 28, received the 20 year sentence for the homicide of Adrian Berg during an appearance before Multnomah County Circuit Court Judge Eric J. Bergstrom Friday, Oct. 5. He had earlier plead guilty to one count each of first-degree manslaughter and being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Ernastine Rutherford, the victim's mother, participated in the sentencing via telephone and described the pain of losing her son. She said her entire family "misses him so much."

The investigation began when officers with the Gresham Police Department responded on Aug. 6, 2017, to Pat Pfeifer Park, at the corner of Northeast 172nd Avenue and Northeast Glisan Street, on reports of a shooting. Officers found Berg suffering from critical injuries. He was taken by ambulance to a local hospital but died during transport. An autopsy determined his death to be a homicide.

CONTRIBUTED PHOTO: MULTNOMAH COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY - Adrian Berg, the victim of a fatal shooting in 2017Law enforcement learned Berg was at the park having a picnic when Webster showed up. There was a verbal altercation between the two men. Berg asked Webster to leave because there were a lot of children nearby and he was disrupting the gathering. According to police, Webster went to his parked car to retrieve a .45 caliber handgun, and returned to shoot Berg multiple times at close range.

Webster fled the scene and the state, but was eventually apprehended by the U.S. Marshals Service.

Senior Multnomah County Deputy District Attorney Brian Davidson, who prosecuted the case, said at the hearing that Berg was "someone who had a lot of loved ones" and was "truly an innocent victim." Davidson said that while at the park, Berg was protecting a woman from Webster who was being aggressive toward her and others.

At the sentencing, Webster apologized to the Berg family and said he was ready to face the consequences of his actions.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine