Lawsuit blames pharmacy for pet death
A Clackamas County couple is suing Walmart Inc., claiming their pet dog died because the company's Wood Village pharmacy sold the family the wrong prescription.
The suit — filed by Attorney Richard Myers on behalf of Elise and Nick Carter in Multnomah County Circuit Court on Thursday, Nov. 29 — claims the pharmacy sold the wrong type of insulin for their dog Bailey. The suit alleges the mixup caused the dog's death.
"The Carters made multiple attempts to resolve this with Walmart before the lawsuit, and at each stage Walmart refused to take any responsibility," Myers said in an email to The Outlook. "So they're suing to recover the costs they incurred as a result of the prescription error. Most of all, they want to make sure this never happens to another family."
Randy Hargrove, spokesperson for Walmart Inc., said because the lawsuit is recent the company hasn't looked into the complaint yet, but will start investigating soon.
"We are sorry for the loss the family experienced," Hargrove said. "We take this seriously. We will look into the allegation, and respond appropriately with the court."
The lawsuit seeks $10,000 in damages for lost wages, veterinary care and travel costs to treatment facilities.
The suit states the incident began on Nov. 29, 2016, when the family's veterinarian diagnosed the canine with diabetes and prescribed Novolin N insulin. The Carters purchased the prescription at the Wood Village Walmart, 23500 N.E. Sandy Blvd and were allegedly given Novolin R instead.
"After the plaintiffs administered the insulin consistent with their veterinarian's instruction, Bailey began losing weight, experienced lethargy and (showed) signs of difficulty breathing," Myers said in the court filing.
When the couple refilled the prescription approximately a year later, they were given Novolin N, leading them to discover they had been giving Bailey the wrong type of medication.
Their veterinarian explained that Novolin R had substantially interfered with the dog's insulin regulation, and was disruptive to the canine's health.
On Jan. 14, 2017, the vet diagnosed Bailey with advanced diabetic ketoacidosis, and the dog died a month later. Bailey was 10 years old when he died.