Staying safe on the Fourth
Staying safe during the Fourth of July makes sense, especially when you think about how many of our founding fathers were volunteer firefighters — at least 10, though accounts vary.
They included George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. Benjamin Franklin created the first volunteer fire department, and Sam Adams, John Hancock, Paul Revere, Alexander Hamilton, John Jay, John Barry and Aaron Burr all served as firefighters.
In that spirit, the Corbett Fire District is sharing tips and things to keep in mind this Independence Day to ensure everyone stays safe and has a good time.
Be cautious and supervise children. Sparklers can burn at 1,200 degrees and can easily catch hair and clothes on fire, as well as burn eyes and skin.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, during the holiday sparklers cause more than 25% of emergency room visits.
Additionally, children younger 5 account for half of those visits.
Keep a 5 gallon bucket filled with water and a hose nearby while setting off fireworks. After waiting 15-20 minutes, put used fireworks in the bucket to avoid the embers starting a fire hours later.
Be courteous to your neighbors and use legal fireworks. The embers from aerial fireworks can drift and cause a fire on a neighbor's property or house. Even with all the rain this spring, Corbett Fire said there have been brush fires in the Portland metro area that have ignited fences. Those fires were started by fireworks.
Igniting aerial fireworks in windy weather is dangerous. According to the National Fire Protection Association, every year there are more than 19,500 house fires caused by fireworks. Often these are caused by aerial fireworks. One tip is to clean your roof and gutters.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.