Gresham Ford: Spreading the love in East County
A volunteer firefighter who dropped everything to help protect his community during the late summer wildfires that swept through Clackamas County was one of 16 winners selected in the inaugural month of The Love Project.
Conor Stewart, who admirably balances firefighting and earning his degree, received a gift card for a night away from the kitchen to enjoy dinner at a local restaurant.
Helmed by Gresham Ford, The Love Project is a series of monthly events throughout 2021 that utilize community nominations and submissions to find those who "deserve a little love." Each month carries a different theme.
In February, it was to recognize people like Stewart who needed something uplifting after going above and beyond for others. And though the plan was to only select 10 winners, Bess Wills, general manager of Gresham Ford, increased the number of recipients because of the outpouring of amazing nominations and stories.
The winners were: Lori Stahlman, Reena Teeny, Paul Quirke, Sue Krueger, Niki Vance, Brad and Jane Roe, Conor Stewart, Jackie Licht, Sam and Midge Collins, Judy Wylie, Steve and Karen Johnston, Mark and Lou Ramsey, Susan Senger, Good Samaritan Society Fairlawn Village staff, and East County Food Pantry volunteers.
In March, The Love Project is hosting an Easter Egg Coloring Contest for children under 12. Participants can print out an Easter egg picture, color it, and submit it by 2 p.m. Wednesday, March 24, for a chance to win a prize.
Download the drawing and enter the colored artwork at bit.ly/3r9JNK3
The art contest includes four categories for different age groups.
A year of love
Themes for the Love Project change every month in an attempt to get a wide-range of support for community members, businesses and nonprofit organizations.
- March: Love Easter Baskets, nominations Feb. 28-March 24
- April: Spring Spruce Up, nominations March 26-April 22
- May: Love your Mother, nominations April 25-May 25
- June: Love your Dad, nominations May 26-June 23
- July: Summer Splash Party, nominations June 25-July 21
- August: Summer Get Away, nominations July 23-Aug. 25
- September: Back to School, nominations Aug. 27-Sept. 22
- October: Bountiful Harvest of Love, nominations Sept. 24-Oct. 25
- November: Hearts of Gratitude, nominations Oct. 27-Nov. 17
- December: The Joy of Giving, nominations Nov. 20-Dec. 15
To enter the Easter Egg Coloring Contest, visit bit.ly/3r9JNK3
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.