Support Local Journalism!        

Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.

FONT & AUDIO

MORE STORIES


Thinly-stretched Gresham Fire douses blaze Tuesday, Aug. 2; no one injured as apartment is destroyed

COURTESY PHOTO: GRESHAM FIRE - A child sparked an apartment fire near downtown Gresham Tuesday afternoon, Aug. 2.  A child playing with fire in a bedroom sparked a blaze in an apartment complex a few blocks from downtown Gresham.

Tuesday afternoon, Aug. 2, Gresham Fire & Emergency Services, with assistance from Portland Fire & Rescue, responded to the 400 block of Northeast Cleveland Ave., where flames were showing through a bedroom window from the second floor of a four-unit building.

Firefighters doused the fire and no one was injured, though the apartment where the fire originated was destroyed and the other units had severe smoke and water damage. The families living in the building have made arrangements to stay elsewhere.

Because of how the fire was sparked, officials remind parents to teach fire safety to children of all ages and emphasize it is not a toy. For resources, visit sparky.org

The incident highlighted how thinly stretched Gresham Fire is, as the two closest engine companies were tied up with other calls, requiring resources from distant stations.

Gresham Fire & Emergency Services has been operating below a full-staffed department, and has been serving a growing community with outdated stations and equipment.


You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.


Have a thought or opinion on the news of the day? Get on your soapbox and share your opinions with the world. Send us a Letter to the Editor!

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by JoomlaShine.com | powered by JSN Sun Framework