OPINION: Trump protest planned at PDX airport
Twenty-three faith associations, civil society, community and government organizations are celebrating who and how we are, as a demonstration against the first anniversary of President Donald Trump's rolling initiatives banning refugees and immigrants from a number of Muslim-majority nations and other disfavored states.
The 1 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 27, demonstration at an officially permitted free-speech zone at Portland International Airport continues a year-long string of airport welcoming parties for newly arriving refugee families, hosted by American Immigration Lawyers Association, Catholic Charities of Oregon, and the city's New Portlander Programs.
At the celebration, welcoming Northwesterners, including representatives of Oregon's congressional delegation, will honor traditional elders, civic activists and business leaders of Portland communities who fled regimes of ruling nations banned and burdened by the Trump administration.
This celebration of our Pacific Northwest ethos will send a clear message to families and communities around the world still looking up to values identified with the United States, that substantial numbers of Americans are free from the bigotry and unkindness associated with our current national leadership.
Our demonstration of local compassion will also be an expression of solidarity with our robust immigrant and refugee communities.
Event endorsers/participants include:
• Unite Oregon
• City of Portland, New Portlanders Program
• Greater Portland Chapter of National Organization of Women (GP NOW)
• Portland Immigrant RIghts Coalition (PIRC)
• CAIR-OR (Council on American-Islamic Relations of Oregon)
• Buddhist Peace Fellowship Portland
• Jewish Voice for Peace PDX
• Portland-Shiraz Friendship Community
• Veterans for Peace Chapter 72
• Portland Peace Team
• Cascadia-Pacific Peace Professionals
• Anarchist Alternative Media Collective
• Portland Refugee Support Group
• International Socialist Organization
• Portland Network Against Racism and Islamophobia
• Oregon Small Business for Responsible Leadership (OSBRL)
• Jump Jump Music
• Terra incognita Media
• Women's March on Portland
• No Lost Generation UO
• United Nations Association of Portland
• Amnesty International Group 48
• Portland Meet Portland
Som Nath Subedi, Portland, Ronault "Polo" Catalani, Portland
If you go
WHAT: Protest of the Muslim and refugee ban
WHEN: 1 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 27
WHERE: PDX Airport Free Speech Zone, second floor, departure floor next to the MAX stop