Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



Joe Fundak and Luke Finn score the only buckets in the two-minute extra session

PMG PHOTO: DAVID BALL - Corbetts Joe Fundak shifts the ball in mid-air on his way to hitting a 3-pointer for the lead late in regulation during the Cardinals 57-53 win over Woodburn on Friday.

Les Schwab Northwest Championships

Team Score
Corbett Cardinals
Woodburn Bulldogs ... OT

OREGON CITY — Corbett's Luke Finn could have stopped his dribble, pulled up at midcourt and worked the clock. Instead, he corralled the long rebound and kept moving down the sideline staying a half-step ahead of his defender all the way to the basket before putting the ball off the glass for a three-point play that sealed the Cardinals' 57-53 overtime win over Woodburn in their opening game of the Les Schwab Northwest Summer Championships on Friday.

"I saw the open lane, no one was there, so I took it," Finn said.

Corbett edged in front late in regulation when Joe Fundak went into the air for a jumper at the top of the arc. A Woodburn defender swiped at the ball, forcing Fundak to shift the ball over in mid-air and fire a shot from his shoulder. The off-balance shot found its way through the net for 3 points and a 45-44 lead.

On the next trip, teammate Nolan Han converted a three-point play on a drive down the left side of the lane, and Finn cleaned up an offensive rebound to push the Corbett lead to 50-44 with 1:15 to play.

"We started moving the ball around and that was getting us open looks," Finn said.

Finn rattled home a pair of free throws to keep the margin at five points heading into the final minute, only to see the Bulldogs rush back when Riley Johnson buried a 3-pointer from the left side, then swiped a steal in the back court and beat everyone to the hoop for a layup to send the game to overtime tied 52-52.

PMG PHOTO: DAVID BALL - Corbett guard Nolan Han puts the ball between his legs on his way across mid court.

With only two minutes on the clock, the first bucket proved key. Fundak provided those points with a step-back from the baseline for what proved to be the winning points.

Johnson made 1 of 2 at the free-throw line to cut into the margin, but his second miss proved costly. That was the long rebound that Finn took the distance to put the game out of reach.

The Cardinals trailed by six late in the first half before Finn swiped a steal in the backcourt and went directly to the rim for two points to bring Corbett within 21-17 at halftime.

Isaac Dennerline hit a 3 to put Corbett on top 31-30 approaching 10 minutes to play, and Corbett kept the game tight when Cole Rolens fired a long pass ahead to Lane Fort to finish a fast break.

The score was knotted 35-35 when things got tricky for the Cardinals during a timeout with 7:41 to play.

The tournament was being played across numerous gyms in the Oregon City, Clackamas and West Linn area. During the break in play, a flood of players and an assistant coach headed out of the gym to be on time for tip off of a jayvee game across town. That left Corbett head coach Don Carter alone on the bench with no subs. That situation lasted only a few minutes before a pair of new arrivals entered the gym doors with about five minutes to play.

Corbett split its four games over the weekend, capping its tournament with a 58-42 win over Lakeridge on Sunday.

View photos at ...

This story is slated for our Tuesday, June 25, print edition.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by | powered by JSN Sun Framework