Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



Grant Embree converts a free kick from close range to tie the score with 10 minutes left

PMG PHOTO: DAVID BALL - Corbetts Cole Parker moves the ball into the attacking zone in the final minutes of play.

Tri-Valley Conference

Team Score

ESTACADA — After sending a flood of pressure at the Estacada goal for a good 10-minute stretch of the second half, the Corbett boys soccer team finally cracked through to score the equalizer with 10 minutes to play during Thursday's 1-1 draw in Estacada.

The Rangers cleared a ball to the side that ruffled the corner flag, giving Corbett a throw-in deep in attacking territory. The ball came to the top of the 18-yard box where Grant Embree drew a whistle.

The referee pointed to the infraction a step outside the box, which meant no slam dunk penalty shot. Instead, Embree set up facing a four-person Rangers' wall with a goalie patrolling the goal line.

Embree took a couple power steps forward and launched his foot into the ball, sending it curving around the wall of green shirts and cleanly inside the far post to tie the game.

"I noticed the goalie sliding over to the right, so I just put it to the other side as hard as I could," Embree said. "When it's that close everyone is expecting you to make it — luckily I did."

PMG PHOTO: DAVID BALL - Corbetts Nollan Han takes a tumble over Estacadas Ben Haefs during the final moments of Thursdays 1-1 draw.

A wild final 10 minutes saw action move quickly end to end on the muddy field with each side creating chances for a winning strike.

In fact, barely a minute after seeing Corbett tie the game, Estacada put the ball into the net twice, but both were disallowed by the referee.

Estacada had driven the ball deep inside the ball and were whacking away at the ball trying to get a clean touch when a Corbett player dropped to his knees. The referee blew his whistle to tend to the injury just before an Estacada player sent a shot into the net.

After the delay, the Rangers were allowed an indirect kick from about 10 yards out. A player put a touch on the ball, and Estacada's leading goal scorer Raymond Garcia rushed in to blast the ball into the net.

Estacada's celebration turned into groans of frustration when the referee correctly waved this goal off, too. Although the ball was touched initially, it remained stagnant in the mud bog. The ball must move from its spot before it can be contacted by a secondary player.

Moments later, Estacada sent a header toward the top corner but Corbett goalie Ravi Heyne was able to get just enough of it to deflect the ball into the post.

The Rangers came up with other chances down the stretch, but two attempts went wide and another sailed over the crossbar.

Corbett's best chance came when a player gave chase to a deep ball down the right side only to see Estacada goalie Martin Gonzalez come out of the box all the way to the sideline to kick the ball out of danger and allow his defense to reset.

"I knew if I didn't get to that ball first it would have been a score," Martinez said.

Corbett also had the final chance of the night when Embree hit a knee-high free kick from 30 yards out that was deflected off target with 10 seconds left.

View photos at ...

This story is slated for our Tuesday, Oct. 8, print edition.

— - Tri-Valley soccer

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by | powered by JSN Sun Framework