Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



JUNIOR COLLEGE HOOPS: Charging call wipes Emily Webber's go-ahead basket off the scoreboard

PMG PHOTO: DAVID BALL - Mt. Hood CC guard Tatyana Lyles was left looking for answers after a charging foul on teammate Emily Webber erased the Saints go-ahead bucket with 1.6 seconds left in Saturdays 84-81 loss to undefeated Umpqua.

NWAC South

Team Score
Umpqua Riverhawks
Mt. Hood Saints

Mt. Hood Community College center Emily Webber took the inbounds pass, faked a handoff to teammate Ashley Parry, then spun down the left side of the lane and put a layup off the glass for the go-ahead points.

The Saints had just stunned undefeated Umpqua 83-82.

The celebration lasted the blink of an eye when a whistle turned yelps of jubilation into dazed looks and outstretched arms.

Webber collided with Umpqua defender Grace Campbell on her way to the hoop and was issued a charging foul, which wiped the winning points off the scoreboard.

"I could see her coming with her head down, so I stepped up and was confident with it — it's really a 50-50 call," Campbell said.

"She (Campbell) came over and was clearly leaning in — I was staring right at it — it was a no-brainer," Mt. Hood coach Jeremy Vandenboer said. "That's a blocking foul, and an and-one. Emily hadn't missed a free throw all game, so that puts us up two with 1.6 seconds left."

The officials used video review to check that Campbell was not standing in the restricted area under the basket. The charging foul was upheld.

Mt. Hood fouled the Riverhawks' Cielo Gonzalez before Umpqua could send the ball into play. So with no time coming off the clock, the teams made the long walk down the floor where Gonzalez sank both free throws to put Umpqua up 84-81.

The Saints called timeout to advance the ball to their offensive end for one final shot at sending the game to overtime. The pass came into Tatyana Lyles at the top of the arc. She lunged to the side of an Umpqua defender and let loose with a heave at the buzzer that only caught backboard.

Mt. Hood players paused on the floor for a moment after the horn in hopes of hearing a whistle that would send Lyles to the free-throw line for three shots.

No whistle came.

"Her defender undercut her on the shot, but we didn't get the call. How do you not call that?" Vandenboer said. "But it comes down to what we always tell the girls — don't be in a position where the refs determine the game at the end."

Umpqua (26-0) wrapped up the South Region title with the win, while Mt. Hood (17-8) is tied for second place with Clackamas.

PMG PHOTO: DAVID BALL - Mt. Hoods Aliyah Dade slides past an Umpqua defender, while escaping with a rebound.

Mt. Hood overcame a 16-point deficit early in the second half, and used a flurry of 3s to take a 76-74 lead with 2:46 to play.

Parry went up high to tip a pass that forced a 10-second half-court violation. She then hit back-to-back deep balls to bring the Saints within a point. Lyles would be left open in the corner for the go-ahead 3 that prompted Umpqua to call timeout.

The Riverhawks returned to the floor and pounded the ball inside to center Darian Mitchell for a series of buckets that put Umpqua back in front 81-76 with 1:15 left.

Mt. Hood responded with Rosales sinking a 3, and Webber picking off an entry pass into the post. Action spilled the other way, and the Saints' Aliyah Dade was sent to the free-throw line where she made both attempts to tie the score with 0:19 left.

Gonzalez held the ball while the clock ticked down before making a drive to the basket. Mt. Hood was hit with a blocking foul with 4.8 seconds left, and Gonzalez sank the second of her two free throws for what proved to be the winning point.

"We figured if I could draw a foul our percentages for winning were pretty high," Gonzalez said. "Missing the first one just irritated me, but I knew I'd make one of the two."

Umpqua's Mitchell finished with a game-high 28 points, while Webber led Mt. Hood with 23. She connected on more than half of her field goal attempts and was 6-for-6 at the free-throw line.

Mt. Hood men miss chance to climb closer

NWAC South

Team Score
Umpqua Riverhawks
Mt. Hood Saints

Every time the Mt. Hood men pulled close, Umpqua point guard Brock Gilbert came up with the answer to carry the Riverhawks to a 94-83 road win Saturday.

The Saints gave themselves a chance when Leonard Dixon sank a 3-pointer from the top of the arc, and on the next trip, Jahville Collins converted a tip-in at the front of the rim to shave the Riverhawks' lead to six points.

PMG PHOTO: DAVID BALL - Mt. Hoods Leonard Dixon drives the baseline. He finished with a game-high 29 points in the Saints 94-83 loss to Umpqua.

Gilbert punched back with a drive down the right side and an acrobatic finish off the glass.

Mt. Hood's Jarrod Burks pulled up for a jumper just inside the arc to pull the Saints within 84-78 as the clock ticked under two minutes.

Gilbert dribbled down the baseline before leaving the ball off to teammate Akoi Yuot for an easy finish at the rim.

The Saints rushed down the floor, and Dixon scored on a drive through the lane to trim it back to a six-point margin.

Once again, Gilbert came up big. This time he got loose on an inbounds play and converted a floater at the side of the rim to put the game on ice.

Dixon knocked down seven 3s and finished with a game-high 29 points.

The loss keeps Mt. Hood (11-14) frozen a game-and-a-half behind Chemeketa in the chase for the fourth and final playoff berth out of the South Region.

View photos at ...

This story is scheduled for our Tuesday, Feb. 18, print edition.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by | powered by JSN Sun Framework