COURTESY PHOTO: HILLSBORO FIRE & RESCUE - Automatic sprinklers doused a fire early Monday morning in a three-year-old's bedroom at Quatama Crossing apartments. The family escaped safely.Hillsboro Fire & Rescue officials credit automatic sprinklers and a working smoke alarm for saving a Hillsboro family early Monday morning.

Firefighters were called to Quatama Crossing apartment complex, 730 N.W. Autumn Creek Way at 3:45 a.m. to a report of an apartment fire. When they arrived, they found the sprinklers had extinguished a fire in a three-year-old child's bedroom.

Fire investigators say a laptop computer left to charge on a bed overheated and ignited the foam mattress top.

A smoke alarm awakened the family and they all escaped unharmed. Firefighters were able to remove the ruined mattress and smoke from the apartment. Damage estimate is about $1,000.COURTESY PHOTO: HILLSBORO FIRE & RESCUE - A laptop left to charge on a bed ignited the foam mattress top in a toddler's bedroom at Quatama Crossing apartments Monday morning. Fire officials credit smoke alarms and automatic sprinklers for saving the family.

In talking with the apartment occupants, the fire investigator indicated the adults were able to retrieve the child from her bedroom, leave the apartment and pull the building fire alarm to alert other residents.

"They did all the right things in response to this situation," said fire investigator Kylie Kelly. "They quickly evacuated their apartment and notified others of the fire."

Hillsboro Fire officials advise laptop users to unplug all appliances when not in use. If charging laptops overnight, be sure to leave them on a noncombustible surface or on a cooling pad. Lithium-ion batteries are known to generate high heat when in charging cycle.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine