2019 Crystal Apple award nominees unveiled
Dozens of Hillsboro School District employees have been nominated for the Hillsboro Chamber of Commerce's annual Crystal Apple Excellence in Education awards for 2019.
The yearly awards, which have been handed out since 2005, are meant to honor teachers, principals and other school district employees who make a difference in Hillsboro schools.
Up to three winners in each of the award's three categories will be announced at the Crystal Apple Awards gala dinner next month.
Nominees were recognized with a surprise ceremony in their schools.
The Crystal Apple award categories include administrators, licensed staff — which includes teachers and school counselors — and support staff, which includes custodians, secretaries and other employees who work behind the scenes.
For more than a decade, the awards have raised awareness about the "critical need to provide every child with a quality public education," Chamber officials said. This year was the second year the Chamber has accepted nominations online.
The awards dinner will take place April 11, at NW Events & Environments, 2900 N.W. 229th Ave. Tickets to the awards ceremony are $60 per person, with a portion of each ticket benefiting the Hillsboro Schools Foundation.
Here is the list of this year's nominees:
• Angela Adzima, a kindergarten teacher at Minter Bridge Elementary
• Nicole Ahern-Mito, ESL Teacher at Mooberry Elementary
• Claire Becker, second and third grade teacher at Witch Hazel Elementary
• Linda Benson, second grade teacher at West Union Elementary
• Aliceson Brandt, sixth grade teacher at West Union Elementary
• Brent Buchanan, fifth and sixth grade teacher at Jackson Elementary
• Julia Busby, classroom teacher at Indian Hills Elementary
• Linda Busse, math teacher at R.A. Brown Middle School
• Michelle Buyas, counselor and department coordinator at Glencoe High School
• Laurie Cameron, sixth grade teacher at Ladd Acres Elementary
• Audrey Davis, kindergarten teacher at Jackson Elementary
• Sheri Fisher, a teacher at Free Orchards Elementary
• Zoe Gosey, fourth grade teacher at Paul L. Patterson Elementary
• Logan Hickman, kindergarten teacher at Indian Hills Elementary
• Lori Lee Daliposon, drama and math teacher at Glencoe High School
• Ana Marquez, ELD case manager at W. Verne McKinney
• Michele McCourt Verney, SLP-Speech Language teacher at Free Orchards Elementary
• Jenna Murphy, fourth grade teacher at Minter Bridge Elementary
• Christa Pruss, sixth grade teacher at Jackson Elementary
• Jennifer Robbins, Title 1 STEM teacher at W. Verne McKinney
• Christopher Sherwood, math & social studies at Evergreen Middle School
• Rebecca Stubbs, online PE teacher at Hillsboro Online Academy
• David Yabu, a classroom teacher at Evergreen Middle School
• Cindi Ansari, secretary at Ladd Acres Elementary
• Jennie Bronleewe, special education assistant at Orenco Elementary
• Vicki Daniels, secretary at Minter Bridge Elementary
• Amy Decoster, autism consultant at HSD-Administration Center
• Rich Pedersen, Lead Custodian at R.A.Brown Middle School
• Kori Sakamoto, Graduation Coach at Hillsboro High School
• Debra Giles, manager of technology services
• Gina McLain, principal at Lenox Elementary School
• Arcema Tovar, coordinator of elementary teaching and learning
By Geoff Pursinger
Editor, Hillsboro Tribune
Visit Hillsboro Tribune on Facebook and Twitter
Follow Geoff at @ReporterGeoff
Subscribe to our E-News and get the week's top stories in your inbox
Quality local journalism takes time and money, which comes, in part, from paying readers. If you enjoy articles like this one, please consider supporting us.
(It costs just a few cents a day.)