Are you ready for winter driving?
Fall has arrived and the cold, wet weather is coming soon. It's time to get your car ready for the months ahead. Here are some tips from the nonprofit National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE):
- Have engine drivability problems such as hard starts, rough idling, stalling or diminished power corrected at a good repair shop.
- Check your oil and oil filter as specified in your manual, more if your driving is mostly stop-and-go or consists of frequent, short trips.
- The cooling system should be flushed and refilled as recommended. The level, condition and concentration of the coolant should be checked periodically. The tightness and condition of drive belts, clamps, and hoses should be checked by a certified auto technician.
- The heater and defroster must be in good working condition for passenger comfort and driver visibility. Replace old windshield wiper blades, stock up on windshield washer solvent and carry an ice scraper.
- Have your mechanic check battery strength; scrape away corrosion from posts and cable connections; clean all surfaces; and re-tighten all connections.
- Inspect all lights and bulbs; replace burned out bulbs; and periodically clean road grime from all lenses with a moistened cloth or towel.
- Examine tires for remaining tread life, uneven wearing and cupping; check the sidewalls for cuts and nicks. Rotate as recommended. Don't forget your spare, and be sure the jack is in good condition!
Call today to schedule your vehicle for an inspection or tuneup.
Vic's Auto Center
15880 Boones Ferry Rd.
Lake Oswego, OR 97035