With Easter on the horizon, it's good for pet owners to remember that some festive decorations can pose serious health risks to your pets.
Easter lilies, as well as other "true lilies", are lethally toxic to cats, even in very small amounts. Eating as few as one
or two petals can cause severe kidney failure. All parts of the plant are considered toxic, so even just ingesting the pollen while grooming or drinking water from the vase can poison your cat.
Signs of poisoning often develop rapidly, and kidney damage can occur within 24 to 72 hours. Watch for early signs of vomiting, lethargy and loss of appetite.
Supportive veterinary care in the early stages of exposure, before kidney failure develops, can greatly improve the prognosis. The sooner you bring your cat in, the more effectively your veterinarian can help treat the poisoning. Treatment may include inducing vomiting, administering IV fluids and monitoring kidney function, which can all help improve the outcome for your cat.
Another potential problem for cats is the artificial grass found in many Easter baskets. The long, brightly colored
strings look like a plaything to cats, but if swallowed, they can become entangled in the small intestine.
If you have questions about potential hazards for your pets around the house, our experienced team at Emergency Veterinary Clinic of Tualatin is here to help!
Emergency Veterinary Clinic of Tualatin
8250 SW Tonka St
Tualatin, OR 97052