Support Local Journalism!        

Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



Newberg man was apprehended late Friday afternoon for first degree disorderly conduct

Lake Oswego Police arrested 24-year-old Vasily V. Barbiyera Jr. around 4:40 p.m. Friday afternoon in connection to a threatening phone call that prompted a lockout at Lake Oswego High School and several other buildings earlier in the day.

The call to Lake Oswego High School around 10:30 Friday morning resulted in a lockout at the high school, Lake Oswego Junior High, the Transitions programs and the pool. The lockout ended at approximately 12:30 p.m.

According to police, Barbiyera Jr. told administrators at LOHS that "I'm coming over now and it's not going to be good."

Police said that school staff kept Barbiyera Jr. on the phone for an extended period of time, and he claimed to have guns as well as many other weapons while referencing mass shootings that had occurred elsewhere. Keeping Barbiyera Jr. on the phone helped police identify him and locate him.

"The school did an amazing job of keeping the caller on the line until the police got there, and even longer, which allowed us to get a lot of information," Lake Oswego Police Lieutenant Darryl Wrisley said.

Barbiyera Jr. was charged with first degree disorderly conduct and lodged at Clackamas County Jail. He chose not to speak with officers and there are no other suspects at this time.

During a lockout, school operates as usual but visitors are not allowed into the buildings and students are not allowed to leave; Lake Oswego Police Lieutenant Darryl Wrisley said the decision to lock out the schools was concurrent with district protocol.

"We wanted to take the safe route," he said.

"As with all matters of student safety, we have taken this very seriously and have acted accordingly, utilizing school resources and our safety protocols in partnership with the Lake Oswego Police Department," Superintendent Michael Musick said in a statement.

In addition, the district provided updates every seven minutes on its new Twitter account.

When LOPD was able to determine that the call was made from outside Lake Oswego, and that there was no threat to students, the lockout was lifted. All schools resumed normal operations and buses remained on schedule in the afternoon.

Later in the afternoon, Moses sent a follow-up email to community members with more details about how the district responded, based on what is called an "after-action review."

Moses said this particular incident stood out for its length.

"We are unable to predict how long it will take to clear an area of a potential threat," Moses wrote. "Each is different. In our experience most last 30 minutes. Once on scene, the police are the incident commanders and we follow what they direct us to do. We cannot know about bus service or other things until the police tell us what to do. Today was difficult because it took more than two hours for the police to conduct their investigation."

Contact Lake Oswego Review reporter Claire Holley at 503-479-2381 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Have a thought or opinion on the news of the day? Get on your soapbox and share your opinions with the world. Send us a Letter to the Editor!

Go to top