What can I do about the unwanted door-to-door solicitors who keep coming to my house?

A Lake Oswego police officer or firefighter answers readers' questions each week in this space. To submit a question, call Editor Gary M. Stein at 503-636-1281 ext. 102 or send an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.).

What can I do about the door-to-door solicitors who keep coming to my house?

WRISLEYThe Lake Oswego Police Department has received several calls recently regarding solicitors.

In most cases, it is not illegal to solicit door to door in Lake Oswego. Unless you have a "No Solicitation" sign posted (one that meets Lake Oswego Code requirements), a person can solicit at your residence between the hours of 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. during daylight savings time, or between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. during standard time.

Solicitation for any purposes — for-profit businesses, nonprofit organizations, charitable entities or political candidates or measures — must be conducted in accordance with LOC 34.16.910-.950. Solicit and solicitation mean the entry onto real property used for residential purposes by a person for the purpose of communicating with an occupant of the property, whether the communication is visual, verbal, or written (flyers, handouts, brochures, etc.).

Soliciting outside of the allowed hours is punishable as a civil violation. Soliciting a residence with a properly posted "No Soliciting" sign can result in Criminal Trespass II charges.

Any business that is conducting door-to-door solicitation in Lake Oswego must have a current business license on file and have a copy of it with them. If the business is a 501(c)(3) organization, the fees are waived.

Many of the complaints made to the LOPD are that the solicitors are rude and pushy. If you are not interested in continuing contact with the person, politely tell them "no thanks" and return to your home. If they refuse to leave your property, they can face in criminal trespass charges.

For your convenience, signs that meet City Code requirements are available for $5 at the Finance Department at City Hall, 380 A Avenue. Violations may be reported to the LOPD at 503-635-0238. For more information on door-to-door solicitation, go to

— Lt. Darryl Wrisley

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine