Fire engulfs garage in Lake Oswego
Following the Fourth of July, a fire engulfed a garage Sunday morning just after midnight in Lake Oswego.
A passerby reported the fire on Chandler Place July 5 and when the Lake Oswego Fire Department arrived, the garage was fully inflamed.
Lake Oswego Police Department helped the residents and their three dogs escape the home. No one was injured.
"While they were doing that, our engines arrived and started fire attack right away," Fire Marshal Gert Zoutendijk said.
There were obstacles that made extinguishing the fire difficult.
The powerline above the house had burnt and severed, which created a hazard to the firefighters. The gas meter also caught fire and NW Natural had to shut off the gas.
"The fire wasn't under control until about an hour and a half later," Zoutendijk said.
The fire was caused by fireworks.
"They had set off legal fireworks down the street with some friends," said Zoutendijk, adding that the family said they doused and watered the spent fireworks before putting them in a box to bring home. They placed the box by the garage near the recycling bin. "So either not every one got doused or watered, or not sure if it happened at all, but it was definitely a firework that had been set off before."
The garage was damaged along with its contents, which included a car and a boat.
"It sounded like they did the right thing and thought everything was good," Zoutendijk said. "Obviously you can't be careful enough in a situation like this."
Fully envolved garage fire in Chandler Place. Fire is under control and firefighters are in mop up stage. pic.twitter.com/njMdR2DJr7— Lake Oswego Fire (@LakeOswegoFire) July 5, 2020
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.