Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.

FONT & AUDIO

MORE STORIES


Lake Oswego fire marshal estimates roughly $65,000 worth of destruction to house.

COURTESY PHOTO: LAKE OSWEGO FIRE DEPARTMENT - A kitchen fire badly damaged a Lake Oswego home Jan. 10. A kitchen fire badly damaged a Lake Oswego home over the weekend.

The Lake Oswego Fire Department and Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue responded to a house fire around 5 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 10, on Southwest Longfellow Avenue in Lake Oswego.

"The fire had actually, for the most part, extinguished itself, which was good," said Lake Oswego Fire Marshal Gert Zoutendijk.

According to Zoutendijk, the tenant melted wax in a wok pan and forgot to turn off the stove when he left the house to walk his dog.

"Looking at and investigating it, it looks like that's where the fire started was on the stove," Zoutendijk said. "We always tell people whenever you're cooking, you always should be present and turn the stove off whenever you're done cooking food, especially when you use oil or in this case wax.

"It just got so hot it burst into flames in the wok."

The house was secured and the fire ran out of air to spread. However, doors were left open so heat and smoke damage spread throughout the home. Zoutendijk estimated about $65,000 worth of damage.

Zoutendijk said it's important to remember to sleep with doors closed and to close doors if not occupying the home.

"It makes a huge difference if there is a fire with smoke damage or heat damage," he said.


You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by JoomlaShine.com | powered by JSN Sun Framework