The vehicle stolen from Utah briefly eluded an officer before eventually crashing at vineyard.

An after-hours patrol of George Rogers Park led to a brief car chase and the eventual recovery of a stolen vehicle Sunday, July 18, police said in a press release Tuesday, July 20.

After the vehicle, which was driven by a man with a woman in the passenger seat, crashed at a vineyard near Stafford Road and Atherton Drive, both occupants were taken to a hospital for evaluation. The man, 27-year-old Dylan M. Farris, was charged with unauthorized use of a vehicle, failure to perform duties of a driver to injured persons, failure to perform duties of a driver when property is damaged, felony attempting to elude, giving false information to a peace officer in connection with a citation, reckless driving and recklessly endangering another person.

According to police, the incident began around 12:55 a.m. Sunday when an officer drove through George Rogers Park looking for anyone who might be there after hours (the park is closed between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.). When the officer found Farris and the woman in a parked car, they provided false names and dates of birth before driving off while the officer checked the vehicle identification number. While the vehicle eluded the officer at that time, he did learn that it had been stolen from Utah.

Later, that same officer arrived at The Stafford Retirement Community on Overlook Drive to respond to a report of a man sleeping on a bench.

"He recognized the sleeping man to be the driver of the vehicle that fled from him during the earlier incident," the press release said.

Farris was taken into custody at that time. Meanwhile, another officer found a woman sitting under a gazebo at C3 Church on Stafford Road. The woman was identified as the passenger in the stolen vehicle, and she said they'd crashed the car nearby.

"She showed them where the crash happened, and the officers found the vehicle had significant damage," the release said.

Farris and the woman were taken to a local hospital, and Farris was later lodged at Clackamas County Jail.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.