The Lake Oswego Fire Department called in the HAZMAT team from Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue after firefighters were exposed to reactive chemicals at Oswego Lake Country Club late Sunday, June 26, and into early Monday morning.
The department received a call at 11 p.m. Sunday about a small fire coming from a room next to the pool at the country club on Iron Mountain Boulevard. The fire derived from a heater sitting against a garbage can and the fire reached tablets filled with the chemical sodium dichloroisocyanurate. Commonly used as a disinfectant and for treating water, the chemical can cause irritation to the nose, throat and skin.
When the firefighters arrived and worked to extinguish the fire, the chemicals began popping, Fire Marshall Gert Zoutendijk said.
"The chemicals didn't explode but popped up. Some of the tablets went flying all over the place," he said. "The chemicals (themselves) don't burn but react and add to the flames of the fire."
The department put out the fire and brought in the HAZMAT team, which determined the chemical exposure was not severe, Zoutendijk said. The fire marshal added that the firefighters did not experience any symptoms and that a club employee may also have been exposed, but was evaluated at the scene and released.
Zoutendijk said they did not leave the scene until about 3 a.m. and that the situation had been resolved by that point. He added that the fire did not cause significant damage at the club.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.