The Lake Oswego girls hold possession in their end of the field for 90 percent of the game

PAMPLIN MEDIA GROUP PHOTO: DAVID BALL - Lake Oswego's Jayden Hill moves along the sideline after getting around La Salle's Morgan Nebels during the Lakers' 3-0 home win on Sept. 25.The Lake Oswego girls soccer team struck in a flash and never let up during a 3-0 win over La Salle Prep to conclude the preseason schedule on Sept. 25.

The Lakers grabbed the lead two minutes into the match when Peyton Ivey ran onto a goal kick, took a couple dribbles past the nearest defender and beat the goalie for a 1-0 lead that would hold into halftime.

Not that Lake Oswego didn't have ample opportunity to widen the margin, as the Lakers sent a flurry of near-misses to the net.

One of the best chances came when rookie Lauren DeGroot ran onto a throw-in and worked the ball into the box before getting bumped off the play by La Salle's center back Audrey Schelb. But DeGroot circled around, regained possession and hit a quick roller toward the far post that spilled Falcons' goalie Carly Weber to the turf to make the save.

Moments later, Lake Oswego's Rachel Sasadeusz made a run down the opposite sideline before hitting a 1-on-1 chance over the top from 12 yards out.

DeGroot was on the move again in the 30th minute, running onto another shallow goal kick, dribbling through a crowd of three defenders and firing shortly after working her way into the box. Weber came off her line and slid down in front of the ball to deflect it off target.

Lake Oswego created one final chance in the first 40 minute when Lily Sieber looped a dangerous ball toward the goal only to have Weber step in front of the Lakers' Billie Fitkin at the last moment to steal the ball out of the air.

La Salle had a chance to pull even shortly after the second-half kickoff when Carolina Stahly-Dronkowski settled a ball in the box and played it out to teammate Natalie Pfleger, whose one-timer went wide of the post.

It would be 15 minutes before the Falcons would return to their attacking third of the field. La Salle would play a ball into the 18-yard box only twice more during the remainder of the match.

Lake Oswego notched an insurance goal in the 45th minute with sharp passes that cycled the ball the width of the field. It ended with Sasadeusz beating her defender along the sideline and playing a quick ball into the box where teammate Taylor Jones was taken down from behind. Jones beat the keeper with a low roller to the left side on the ensuing penalty shot.

"We've switched up our formation to put more power up front, and that has created more chances to connect," Jones said.

The team moved from a 5-3-2 attack to a 4-4-2 last week to create more of a threat out of its midfield.

Five minutes later, Sasadeusz made another run down the right side, this time taking the shot herself — a sharp-angled blast that clipped the back of a defender and clanked off the cross bar. DeGroot was in position to clean up the rebound on the far side to make the final 3-0.

"We had a lot of good chances in the first half. We came out in the second and wanted to put them away and get to that last 15-20 minutes," Sasadeusz said.

The Lakers wrapped up their nonleague schedule with a 3-4-0 record, heading into their Three Rivers opener at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday against Oregon City.

View photos at

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine