Support Local Journalism!        

Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



The vehicle went through the door, careened into the ice machine and pushed items to back of building

By Cindy Fama

A car crashed into the Colton Market, Thursday, Sept. 23, at approximately 1:56 p.m., putting multiple people inside the store in danger.

According to witnesses, the car was traveling at a high rate of speed when it entered the parking lot from South Wall Street. It hit a car that was parked right beside the entrance and crashed straight through the door into the building, hitting the ice machine that was right inside.

PMG PHOTO: CINDY FAMA - A car rests inside the Colton Market after running through the front door on Thursday.

The car pushed the ice machine all the way to the other side of the store, striking everything in its way and trapping two customers in the corner. One customer sustained cuts from breaking glass.

Colton Rural Fire Protection District #70 and the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office responded to the call. The car was impounded. More details will be available when the police report is released.

Colton Fire Chief Gary Todd said the store staff did a very good job of evacuating the building and not letting people enter, making the fire district's job much easier.

"Glass was flying everywhere," cashier Kristin Roundtree said. "The car was slowed down a bit when it ran into the ice machine and that kept the customers from getting hit and the pizza oven just narrowly missed Theresa (Skogan, deli worker) when it was knocked over."

Employee Julie Snyder was at the gas pump when the car came around the back of the building at what she stated was a high rate of speed. She said she thought the driver was going to slow down, but instead, kept going, hitting the car in the parking lot and smashing through the door. "It is an image I won't forget," she said.

Roundtree said Chief Gary, after a phone call to store manager Abdul Saleem, called in a fire restoration company to inspect the building.

She said they brought a dumpster with them, cleaned up everything, boarded up the side of the building and the store was closed for only about three hours. It opened again, just in time for half-time of the home football game.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Have a thought or opinion on the news of the day? Get on your soapbox and share your opinions with the world. Send us a Letter to the Editor!

Go to top