Final guilty plea

by: SUBMITTED PHOTOS - Angeledith Smith and Tana LawrenceAngeledith Saramaylene Smith, 26, of Warm Springs, the last of three people involved in the death of a Warm Springs last year, has pleaded guilty to first-degree murder.

Smith and Tana Chris Lawrence, 21, have both pleaded guilty to breaking into the Warms Springs home of Faron Kalama on Sept. 29, 2012. The two brutally assaulted Kalama, before forcing her into Smith's van to take her to Smith's house in a more remote area of the Warm Springs reservation to assault her again. Finally, when she was unconscious and on the verge of death, they loaded her back in the van and drove to a grove of junipers in the Agency area, where the left her body.

Smith is scheduled to be sentenced in U.S. District Court in Portland on April 16, 2014, and Lawrence, on March 19, both before Judge Anna J. Brown. First-degree murder is punishable by up to life in prison, but under the plea agreements, they are expected to receive sentences in the range of 25-35 years, according to Craig Gabriel, of Portland, assistant U.S. attorney.

On Monday, Gabriel said that Smith's and Kalama's family members were present when Smith pleaded guilty. "An aunt of Faron Kalama addressed Angeledith Smith in court, thanked her for pleading guilty and gave her a feather," said Gabriel, noting that Smith's maiden name was Kalama.

"She also was really frank with Angeledith with how much pain she caused the family," he said. "The aunt talked about how painful it was to have Kalamas killing other Kalamas."

On Sept. 30, 2012, Lawrence and Smith enlisted the help of two men, including Curtis Lamont Brown, 39, of Warm Springs, to move Faron Kalama’s body from the juniper grove to a wooded area on the northern end of the reservation. As police were investigating the disappearance of Faron Kalama, they interviewed Brown, who admitted his involvement in moving Kalama’s body, and led police to the body on Oct. 5, 2012.

Brown pleaded guilty to accessory after the fact to first-degree murder. He is scheduled to be sentenced in U.S. District Court in Portland on March 19, 2014.

"Everybody who was responsible for the death of Faron Kalama has now pleaded guilty," said Gabriel. "The sentencing hearings are set for next year and we’ll continue to work to see that justice is done in the case."

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine