Duplex fire starts from smoking materials on deck, but spreads to attic area before firefighters put it out.

SUBMITTED PHOTO - A fire that originated in smoking materials on a deck was stopped by the quick action of neighbors and firefighters.A deck fire that extended into the attic of a duplex was stopped by rapid response from neighbors and firefighters on Feb. 17.

According to Capt. Kasey Skaar, of the Jefferson County Fire Department, the alarm was sounded at 10:39 a.m., at 241 NE Ninth St., in Madras.

"When I arrived on scene, the people next door were taking garden hoses and keeping it down," he said.

"Due to the high winds, the fire could have burned quickly and could have been much worse," said Skaar, praising the quick action by neighbors and fire crews.

Two fire engines and a command vehicle, with three staff members and nine volunteers, responded to the fire, with mutual aid provided by Jefferson County Emergency Medical Services. There were no injuries.

One crew checked the deck to ensure that the fire hadn't extended into the home or adjacent home, and another crew accessed the attic to be certain that the fire hadn't spread.

The home, owned by Shannon and Aaron Martin, is being rented by Rob Haas, who wasn't home at the time of the fire.

After talking with the occupant, Skaar believes the fire originated from smoldering smoking materials in a metal can that was sitting on carboard on the deck.

Damage, primarily to the home's siding, was estimated at about $2,000.

"Always remember to fully extinguish smoking materials and put in a safe location," he advised.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine