FONT

MORE STORIES


Jefferson County Fire Department responds to two fires without working smoke detectors; offers reminder.

SUSAN MATHENY - Oily rags started a fire at a reisdence on Southwest Bear Drive, around 9:41 a.m., April 18. A neighbor had the fire nearly extinguished by the time firefighters arrived.After responding to two separate fires last week at residences that didn't have working smoke detectors, the Jefferson County Fire Department wants to remind homeowners and occupants of the importance of working smoke alarms.

On April 18, the fire department was called out to a residence on Southwest Bear Drive at 9:41 a.m. The fire, caused by oily rags, started outside the home.

"The fire stayed small, thanks to a nearby neighbor, who saw the smoke and extinguished most of the fire by the time fire crews arrived on scene," said Capt. Kasey Skaar, of the Jefferson County Fire Department, adding that there was only minimal damage to a structure.

At 8:11 p.m., on April 18, firefighters were called to a residence on Southwest Third Street in Madras.

"The second (fire) was a gas oven that caught on fire, due to oil that leaked down and ignited," said Skaar. "This fire also caused minimal damage, but both had high potential, and did not have working smoke alarms."

The stove had to be replaced, said Skaar, advising local residents "to make sure to have working smoke alarms in your home."

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine