In 1993, Dr. Kemper recalls quirk of fate that brought him to Madras 50 years ago.

MADRAS PIONEER LOGO - The Madras Pioneer looks back through the past 100 years of newspaper archives.100 YEARS AGO

October 17, 1918

The American Army in Europe could be fed and clothed and all its creature comforts looked after for three months if not another pound of supplies was secured. This was the statement made here by officers of the Army quartermaster's department which directs this mammoth work of supplies.

It gives an idea of the vast stock of reserve resources stored in the miles of warehouses stretching from the coast inland to the fighting line, and it is a comforting assurance, too, that this huge reserve will be kept up through the coming winter period, so that the American soldier's warmth, as well as his food and clothing, will be fully looked after.

It is a huge undertaking to feed a million men, even for a single day — a million men scattered to a thousand points, in trenches, on battlefields and camps, along 300 miles of front and for a depth of 500 miles. And when are added housing and clothing, and the period is extended through the winter months of cold and frost, with the prospect that another million or two of men may be headed this way before long — with these elements, one gets some idea of the magnitude of the supply problem for a million or more men.

Here at the center of the system, where the receipts are regulated and the distribution made, there was an opportunity of learning some of the details of how the system operates.

In the food branch alone it takes over 4 million pounds of food every day to feed the Army. This prodigious daily consumption of food embraces 1,000 pounds of flour baked into a million pounds of bread every day, 875,000 pounds of fresh beef, 875,000 pounds of potatoes, 200,000 pounds of sugar and 125,000 pounds of tomatoes. The pepper and salt for a single day is 42,500 pounds.

Army coffee is roasted at the rate of 70,000 pounds a day and it takes 20,000 pounds of solidified alcohol to cook this coffee through the month.

The beef is the bulkiest product used each day, and occupies a daily space of 45,000 cubic feet, or about the dimensions of a business block, of solid meat. Flour comes next, requiring 25,000 cubic feet of daily space, and potatoes about the same.

These are only a few of the main items. But the list runs all through the many requirements of the oversea Army ration, with vast quantities in each case. Here are some of the other daily items: bacon, 225,000 pounds; beans, 75,000 pounds; rice, 50,000 pounds; onions, 250,000 pounds; evaporated fruit, 70,000 pounds; jam, 70,000 pounds; milk, 62,500 pounds; vinegar, 40,000 pounds; lard, 40,000 pounds; butter, 31,000 pounds; syrup, 40,000 pounds.

These being included in the oversea ration, every one of the million men is entitled to his full allowance, and it must go forward to him wherever he is. So that, besides the vast daily stock, there is the question of unfailing daily delivery, first by railways and camion trains, and then to the individual soldier.

Besides this 4 million pounds of food moving forward daily to the troops, each man carries with him two days' emergency ration, 5 pounds to the man, and additional 5 million pounds of food for an Army of one million men. Of the emergency ration, carried on the back, there is an outstanding every day 2 million pounds of corned beef and 2 million pounds of hardtack, 300,000 pounds of sugar, 62,500 pounds of coffee, 20,000 pounds of salt, and 500,000 pounds of solidified alcohol for heating and cooking while on march.


October 14, 1943

Thirteen loaded freight cars were derailed along with six empty cars, near Metolius, at about 8:30 Tuesday morning, Oct. 12.

The train, No. 311, was northbound and night trains were held up until Wednesday morning before the tracks were cleared. Officials of the Spokane, Portland, and Seattle Railway Co., operators of the Oregon Trunk, announced that cause of the derailment, which caused no injuries, was being investigated.

"Considerable damage" was done to cars and contents, it was stated by officials.


October 17, 1968

The congregation of the United Methodist Church of Madras voted to build a new sanctuary, Oct. 13, at a specially called church conference, following one Sunday morning worship service.

District Superintendent Dr. Daniel Taylor, of Salem, was present to conduct the session. The congregation authorized the board of trustees to negotiate a loan to finance the building of the sanctuary which will cost when furnished approximately $100,000, and will seat 200 people.

Following the conference, members gathered outside for a groundbreaking ceremony. Nellie Watts, longtime member, turned the first shovelful of earth, followed by Rosco Links, also a longtime member, and Everett Van Wert chairman of the building committee. A number of other members also actively participated in the ceremony.

Mr. and Mrs. Hubert Bartlett of Bend were present, representing the Bend United Methodist Church; also present was the contractor, Stewart Mockford of Oregon City.

Builders Kowolowski and Hamlin have indicated they will have the building completed by Easter.


October 14, 1993

Dr. Carlos Kemper, who founded Madras Medical Group 25 years ago, said a quirk of fate and a jack-knifed trailer led to his decision to set up a practice in Madras.

He was in the area by sheer coincidence. Madras was in a straight line between Browning, Montana, and Springfield, Oregon, where he was bound to check out the possibility of opening an office.

In 1966, Kemper and another young doctor, George Waldmann, had been working together in Browning, for the public health service. Kemper, who had completed his residency training, was looking for a spot to open his own business when he got a call from someone in Springfield, Oregon.

When he mentioned the possibility to his administrator, Dick VanBurg, he was told to be sure to look up the administrator's brother-in-law, Dr. Richard Schock, who was working in a place called Warm Springs.

With belongings packed into a trailer, Kemper and his wife, Peggy, pulled in to stay overnight at Pelton Park. Unfortunately, the trailer jack-knifed, severing its lights, so the Kempers found themselves stranded in Madras for a day and a half while repairs were made.

"We got to looking around and noticed the brand new hospital here and beautiful new school and I thought this was really a nice community," Kemper recalled.

They also took in the sights of Lake Billy Chinook and a game of golf at Nine Peaks Golf Course.

"Jack Pegg was the owner up there then. He got the word out that there was a doctor golfing and within half an hour there were three hospital board members out there to talk to us and have us look around the hospital," Kemper chuckled, noting the board members were Sumner Rodriguez, John Brooks and Dr. Hicks.

The Kempers weren't put off by the town's small size. Both had grown up in Viborg, South Dakota, a town of about 600 where Carlos' dad was the local doctor.

They continued on to Springfield, but due to hot weather, road construction and other factors, decided it wasn't such an appealing area. They also considered Bend, but noted it already had 35 doctors, and decided to stay in Madras.

"They were really hurting for doctors here. There were just two, Dr. Evan Thomas and Dr. T.J. Hicks, and I don't know how they did it. In those days, they did hospital work in Redmond, Prineville and made house calls. They spent an incredible amount of time on the road," Kemper related.

In 1968, Dr. Kemper opened his own practice downtown in an office above the Shangrila Cafe and Lounge, the only available space in town.

"It was a jumpin' place on Saturday nights. I used to sit up doing book work and listen to the band," he laughed.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine