Army truck goes out of control on the main street of Madras in 1943, and damages two cars.

MADRAS PIONEER LOGO - The Madras Pioneer looks back over the past 100 years of newspaper archives.100 YEARS AGO

October 31, 2018

A British airman flying a powerful machine at 16,000 feet over Ostend recently had the machine's tail shot off by a direct hit of a shell, a very unusual occurrence.

The machine turned upside down, out of control, and the pilot was thrown out of his seat. By some inexplicable maneuver, he managed to clamber onto the bottom of the fuselage of the machine astride of which he sat as if he was riding a horse.

Though the machine was out of control, owing to the loss of its tail planes, yet by moving forward and backward he managed to balance it that it glided steadily downward, although it was upside down.

He successfully brought it across the German lines and came safely to within a few hundred feet of the ground. Then he crashed and was injured, but is now recovering in hospital.

When it is considered that this incident occurred at a height of 16,000 feet, over hostile territory, and that during the airman's terribly precarious ride he was subject to anti-aircraft fire, and liable to the attack of hostile scouts, it is not too much to say that his is a record achievement.

Recently, another airman was shot down, out of control, from 13,000 feet, and fell, fluttering like a leaf toward the ground. At a height of 9,000 feet he fainted. Shortly afterward, he came to and found himself in the machine upside down in a marsh, unhurt.


October 28, 1943

Slippery pavement, plus a sharp curve, resulted in an Army truck sending one man to the hospital and the damaging of two cars on the main street of Madras last Saturday morning.

The Army truck, headed north, was a part of a convoy returning from the maneuver areas south of here.

Evidently traveling at a speed too fast to make the turn in front of the First National Bank, the truck swerved over in front of Olsen's store, knocking down a prop or two from under the canopy in front of the establishment, continuing on to shear a telephone pole off at the base, causing a slight delay in the power service in downtown Madras.

From the pole, the Army truck glanced back to the west side of the street, hitting a truck parked in front of the post office, and knocking a man to the pavement who is reported to have been climbing into the parked dump truck.

The injured man, Leonard Atkins, was taken to the base hospital, where a few stitches were taken in his head, and was later taken to Redmond for X-ray purposes.

The dump truck was pushed by the Army truck into the parked car of George Walker, who had just gotten his car back ater it had been missing a few days, reportedly stolen by two 14-year-old boys from Washington.

Mr. Walker's car was badly crushed on the left side, damaging the top, the left door and other parts of the car.

After hitting the dump truck, the Army vehicle landed in the middle of the left rear fender of Frank Williams' automobile that was parked on the same side of the street. The fender was badly smashed on Williams' car.


October 31, 1968

Madras was a city minus one police chief this week.

City hall officials confirmed that 32-year-old James Taylor had left for Portland with the stated intention of taking further educational courses.

Taylor, who had served as chief in Mount Angel and Mill City prior to taking the Madras job, started his duties here on Aug. 8, not three months ago.

Spokesmen said that Taylor apparently did not put his resignation in writing.

Any city action to name a successor to Taylor presumably will wait until return to the city of Mayor Don Hatfield. Hatfield also serves as chairman of the police commission.


October 28, 1993

Jefferson County's legislator in the Oregon House of Representative, Bev Clarno, is about to make history.

Clarno, the three-term Republican serving District 55, is set to become the first woman in state history to serve as House majority leader.

Clarno, from Terrebonne, will take over the leadership of the House Republicans Nov. 1, when present House majority leader Greg Walden of Hood River steps down.

Walden, who planned to run for governor in 1994, announced Monday that he would leave politics for the time being. Walden and his wife are expecting a child in March, and recently learned the child will have to undergo three open heart surgeries in his first two years.

Clarno was elected deputy House majority leader earlier in the year. Most expected she'd come to the majority leader post when Walden resigned to run for governor.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine