Family pioneers in areas of the Cove, Haystack
George Henry Osborn was born in DeKalb County, Missouri, in 1852. His family moved to Kansas when he was a small boy. In 1872, Osborn came West to California by emigrant train and drifted north to the Goose Lake, Oregon, area and worked on his uncle's ranch. While visiting the Willamette Valley, near Sheridan, Oregon, he met Martha Ellen Rogers and became smitten with the young lady. The young Miss Rogers must have also been smitten with him as they married on Nov. 7, 1877.
Martha's father, Green Clark Rogers, came to Central Oregon and established a homestead at the Cove on Crooked River. George and Martha Osborn soon followed in October 1879. It took them 15 days to cross the Cascade Mountains. They lived in the Grizzly area until February 1880 and then moved to the Cove. Logs for a cabin in the Crooked River Canyon were cut near Grizzly, then hauled to the canyon rim and lowered by rope to the canyon bottom. George Osborn and Clark Rogers cultivated some land and planted a garden and fruit trees. Clark Rogers and his daughter, Martha, lived at the Cove for about two years.
In 1880, George Osborn discovered an abundant spring near Haystack Butte and filed a homestead claim on the site in The Dalles. A home was built and the Osborns raised 10 children at their homestead site. A short distance to the east, O.G. Collver constructed a store and a post office was established and named after him but the spelling was changed to Culver. This was the site of "Old Culver."
In 1920, George and Martha Osborn turned over operation of their ranch to their son and moved to the Portland area. Their original homestead site near Haystack Butte was sold to the Resettlement Administration in the 1930s, after the death of their son, Robert. George Osborn died in Portland in 1940, and Martha, in 1944. They were among the first settlers in the Haystack area and their names have been left on several geographic features.