Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.

FONT

MORE STORIES


Firefighters respond to fire in Yarrow subdivision; keep it from damaging property.

A small fire in the Yarrow subdivision over the weekend was caused by fireworks, according to the Jefferson County Fire Department.

At 4:38 p.m., Sunday, June 23, the fire department was dispatched to a wildfire reported at the intersection of Southeast Yarrow Avenue and Southeast Honeysuckle Loop. The fire, estimated at about one-half acre at the time, was spreading into the open land east of the Yarrow subdivision.

Crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire, which ended up burning about 1 acre, but did not cause damage to any property. The department responded with six volunteers and one staff member, two wildland vehicles and a water tender, and stayed about an hour to mop up the fire.

Cause of the fire was determined to be fireworks.

"Always be careful when using fireworks, and please don't use them during times of high winds," noted Kirk Hagman, lieutenant firefighter-paramedic. "To our knowledge, this is the first fireworks-related fire of the year in our district."


You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by JoomlaShine.com | powered by JSN Sun Framework