Fire destroys garage at Crooked River Ranch
A garage containing three vehicles was destroyed by a fast-moving fire July 30, at Crooked River Ranch.
When firefighters from Crooked River Ranch Fire and Rescue arrived at the fire, reported at 6:23 p.m., they found the detached garage fully engulfed in flames, with the fire spreading to the deck of the adjacent manufactured home at 8628 SW Crater Loop Road.
"Bystanders reported hearing explosions from the garage prior to the fire district's arrival," reported Sean Hartley, assistant chief. "The homeowner's son called 911 after finding a vehicle on fire in the garage and the fire growing rapidly."
"Fire crews initially focused on protecting the manufactured home and stopping the spread of fire to the wildland urban interface," added Hartley. "The fire was contained to the garage."
No one was injured in the fire, which is believed to have been started by a vehicle malfunctioning in the garage.
The garage, with an estimated value of $58,000, plus contents valued at $80,000, including the three vehicles, were a total loss. The manufactured home received only minor damage from heat, but the attached deck was damaged.
A total of 17 career and volunteer firefighters responded to the fire, with three fire engines, two water tenders, a medic and support staff. Mutual aid assistance was provided by the Cloverdale Fire District, Redmond Fire and Rescue, the Deschutes County Sheriff's Office and Pacific Power.
Fire crews remained at the location for about two hours, mopping up the fire and ensuring that there were no not spots.
"While it did not affect response on this fire, CRRF&R reminds citizens to call 911 when they see an emergency, and not to call the fire station directly," Hartley noted.
Quality local journalism takes time and money, which comes, in part, from paying readers. If you enjoy articles like this one, please consider supporting us.
(It costs just a few cents a day.)