Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.

FONT

MORE STORIES


A fire in a Madras duplex starts from hot cooking oil, spreads to stove, cupboards.

SUBMITTED PHOTO - A fire that was caused by hot cooking oil that spilled out onto the stove resulted in an estimated $10,000 in damages.A kitchen fire in a duplex on Southeast Eighth Street caused an estimated $10,000 in damage Monday afternoon.

The Jefferson County Fire Department was dispatched at 12:26 p.m. to a stove fire, and arrived to find no visible flames, and the occupants out of the house. Inside, they found that the fire was smoldering in some cupboards, and the stove was still on.

"Fire was caused by hot cooking oil that spilled over and started the stove on fire," said Capt. Kasey Skaar. "The stove was still on, so fire department personnel cut power to home, checked for extensions and overhauled area of fire."

The home's occupant, Wasch Blakey, was checked out by Jefferson County Emergency Medical Services, and was found to be uninjured in the incident.

The fire department responded with three volunteers, one fire engine, and rescue, command and medical vehicles.

"A good reminder is to not leave a stove unattended," said Skaar. "If you have a cooking fire, always keep a lid nearby when you are cooking. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan. Turn off the burner and do not move the pan until it is completely cool."

"Never pour water or discharge a multipurpose (ABC) fire extinguisher on a grease fire," he continued. "It can splatter and spread the fire. Make sure you have the right type of extinguisher and know how to use it."

"When in doubt, get out," said Skaar. "Close the door behind you when you leave to help contain the fire. Call 911 after you leave."

The Madras Police Department also provided mutual aid on the call.


Quality local journalism takes time and money, which comes, in part, from paying readers. If you enjoy articles like this one, please consider supporting us.
(It costs just a few cents a day.)

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine