FONT

MORE STORIES


Firewood stacked next to a fireplace sparked a small, smoky fire last Saturday.

SUBMITTED PHOTO - Soot marks a fireplace in a residence on Southeast Eighth Street after heat from a fireplace insert caused adjacent firewood to catch fire and smoke.Firewood stacked next to a fireplace insert caused a small fire early Saturday morning at a residence on Southeast Eighth Street, in Madras.

The Jefferson County Fire Department responded with seven volunteers and three staff members to the fire, which was reported at 1:21 a.m. Oct. 19. Upon arrival, firefighters found light smoke coming from the daylight basement of the home, owned by Delita Cordes, but occupied by Holly Neff.

"First arriving engine made entry into basement and located source of the smoke to be firewood stacked up against the fireplace insert," the fire department reported. "Wood was removed from the structure and extinguished on the exterior of structure."

Crews checked the area and found that the fire had not extended into any other areas.

Neff was awakened by the smoke alarm going off and went downstairs to wake her 15-year-old son. The two and their two dogs, were not injured, and exited their home.

The fire department found that the smoke alarm had been removed from the basement due to nuisance alarms.

"The fire department would like to remind folks to relocate alarms in areas instead of removing alarms, and to not place combustibles too close to heating units," noted Capt. Kasey Skaar.

Crews, who responded with two fire engines, a fire truck, a command vehicle and a medic vehicle, stayed on scene while the structure was ventilated. The Madras Police Department and Jefferson County Emergency Medical Services provided mutual aid.


You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.