Unattended burn leads to shop fire
Jefferson County Fire District No. 1 responded to a fire on Southwest Jericho Lane in Culver at 2:58 p.m. Sunday, May 10.
Crews found a 20-by-30-foot shop that was "fully involved and had spread to a grain silo and wood storage shed located next to an unoccupied house," said a press release from the district.
No one was injured in the fire.
"Crews defended the housing structure on-site, then transitioned to putting out the multiple exposures," the release said.
The district estimates $33,000 total damage.
"Remember to always watch your controlled burn and be at least 50 feet away from any structures," the release said. "Have a designated bur area that 10 feet of cleared ground, and have a hose and shovel available."
Thirteen volunteers and three staff arrived in two engines, one truck, two tenders, one rescue, one command and two medic vehicles. Warm Springs Fire and Safety, Jefferson County EMS and the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office also responded.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.