Affidavit reveals shooting death resulted from a fight over a stolen backpack

PHOTO COURTESY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY CORRECTIONS - Jenna Campbell, 21, of Prineville, pleaded guilty to criminally negligent homicide and burglary in the Dec. 16 shooting death of 42-year-old Doretta 'Dee-Dee' Smith, of Madras.

Jenna Rae Campbell, 21, of Prineville, pleaded guilty to criminally negligent homicide in the December shooting death of 42-year-old Doretta "Dee Dee" Smith, of Madras.

Attorneys outlined the plea agreement at a hearing Wednesday, July 28.

The court delayed sentencing until September, but according to the agreement, Campbell will serve five years in prison for the crime along with three years of post-prison supervision.

Campbell also pleaded guilty to burglary for entering a home and threatening a family with a gun while running from police. The agreement calls for five years in prison for that charge, to be served concurrently with the other sentence.

"This is bulls---!" screamed Smith's friend Harmony Staton from the back of the courtroom. In honor of her friend, Staton has attended every court appearance since Campbell's arrest. She considers five years in prison inadequate for taking someone's life. "That was just a slap on the wrist," said Staton. "(Campbell) will think she's invincible and she'll do it again."

Jefferson County District Attorney Steve Leriche says family and friends of the victim do not know the specifics of the crime.

COURTESY PHOTO - Doretta 'Dee Dee' Smith, 42, was the mother of four children ages 9 to 24. According to court documents, her shooting death was part of a confrontation over a stolen backpack.

Court documents unsealed the day of the hearing detail the testimony of Smith's friend Robert Holquin who witnessed the incident.

Holquin says Smith believed Campbell had stolen her daughter's backpack, and Smith asked him to go with her to confront Campbell.

The confrontation took place in the garage of the house at 896 SW First St. in Madras. Holquin says things got heated. He saw Campbell back up into a corner and pull out a gun, a silver or chrome semi-automatic pistol.

Holquin says he tried to grab the gun when it went off. After the gun fired, Smith said, "I've been shot."

Efforts to resuscitate Smith failed. She died on the way to the hospital.

Campbell fled the scene of the crime, prompting a statewide hunt. Five days after the event, Campbell and a companion reportedly stole a Ford Ranger near Smith Rock and led the police on a chase. The pair crashed the vehicle, and Campbell fled on foot.

She forced her way into a home and, according to witnesses, pointed a gun at a mother and her four young children.

Moments later, police arrested Campbell. A Jefferson County Grand Jury charged Campbell with first- and second-degree manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide with a firearm, and unlawful use of a firearm. Charges in Deschutes County included burglary, robbery, menacing, theft, unauthorized use of a vehicle, and unlawful use of a weapon.

Leriche says more about the case will come to light at Campbell's sentencing.

Smith's son Zack Sammons, 24, sat through the hearing holding a box containing his mother's ashes. He plans to speak at Campbell's sentencing Sept. 20.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.