Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.


FONT & AUDIO

MORE STORIES


Fire experts advise on the danger oily rags hold and proper disposal of oily rags

COURTESY PHOTO: JEFFERSON COUNTY FIRE DISCRICT NO. 1 - The damage from the oily rags that ignited

Jefferson County Fire District No.1 responded to a structure fire in a shop early Monday morning, Nov. 15, likely caused by oily rags in a waste basket.

The fire at the 300 Block of Timothy Dr. in Culver started in a trash can and burned up the wall between the man door and garage door.

Crews quickly knocked the fire back. The homeowner had placed oily rags in a waste bin with sawdust.

The fire district warns of the fire danger oily rags present when not properly disposed of.

Oily rags can easily start a fire, as oil-based paints, stains and varnishes release heat as they dry. When this heat is not released, heat builds and can ignite.

An average of 1,700 home fires a year are cause by instances of combustion like this one, and an average of 900 home fires per year start when oily rags catch fire or are ignited.

Prevent these fires from starting by ensuring you keep oily rags separated, and never leave them where they could ignite.


You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by JoomlaShine.com | powered by JSN Sun Framework