Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



Report lists portable heater connected to extension cord as a likely cause of fire

Red Cross volunteers have been called to help two Madras families rendered homeless by a New Year's Day fire. Jefferson County Fire District No. 1 responded to the Greenspot Mobile Home Park at ten minutes after noon, Saturday, Jan. 1.

Crews found heavy smoke and flames coming from the mobile home at 1112 Southwest Highway 97. Both occupants were out of the home and uninjured.

The fire extended to the home on the north.

Crews were able to make an aggressive attack on the fire, but both structures were a total loss.

The fire started in the home of Addison and Jordan Elliot. The fire report lists an extension cord connected to a portable heater as the probable cause of the fire.

Officers from the Madras Police Department and Jefferson County Sheriff's Office assisted with evacuating families from neighboring homes and keeping people a safe distance from the fire.

Nine volunteers and two members of the fire staff responded to the incident.

One of the homes lost belonged to Esteban and Guilles Valerio. Their trailer neighbored the original fire, and their entire home, including all their belongings were destroyed.

They had lived at Greenspot for 30 years. Their granddaughter, Cristal Valerio, has started a GoFundMe to support them in rebuilding, which can be found at

They are mainly in need of toiletry items as they begin searching for a more permanent living situation.

Additionally, Lupe Valerio at Bada Bing Barbershop, a nephew of the fire victims, will be hosting a fundraiser Friday Jan. 7 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. where all proceeds from haircuts will go to the Valerio recovery fund.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by | powered by JSN Sun Framework