Support Local Journalism!        

Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.


FONT & AUDIO

MORE STORIES


Neighbors heard explosion. Fire Marshal has not determined the cause of the fire

PMG PHOTO: KIVA HANSON - Highway 361 Fire

Witnesses say they heard a loud bang, then saw flames erupt from the High Desert Golf Carts building. The Thursday afternoon, July 28, fire caused extreme damage to the Madras business.

The Fire Marshal has not yet determined the cause of the fire.

Jefferson County Fire & EMS responded with multiple trucks as well as mutual aid from Warm Springs Emergency Services and Bureau of Land Management Fire.

Firefighters battled the blaze amid temperatures of well over 100 degrees.

Engines and personnel were also dispatched to prevent spread to nearby businesses and residences as well as grasses near the structure.

They were able to contain the fire to just one building, but that building was almost a total loss.

Fire crews remained on the scene until about 10 p.m. to ensure the fire was out.

"Focusing on fire prevention methods like being diligent about keeping grasses low and lots clear of flammables is important," said Jefferson County Fire & EMS Chief Jeff Blake. "If the community focuses on fire prevention, it will be a lot easier for us to prevent spread."

The same business had another fire June 17, 2021. That fire was started by a golf cart on a charger behind the building. That fire resulted in $150,000 in damages.

At around 2:45 p.m. Thursday, July 28, crews responded to reports of a structure fire near 309 Southwest Culver Highway.

Witnesses claim they heard a loud bang before flames erupted from the building that holds High Desert Golf Carts.

Jefferson County Fire and EMS responded with multiple trucks, as well as mutual aid from Warm Springs Emergency Services and Bureau of Land Management Fire.

As of 3:30 p.m., the fire is still going, but crews have it largely under control.

Highway 361 was closed and will likely remain closed between Madison and First Streets as JCFE continues to attack the fire.

The Pioneer will report information as it becomes available.


You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.


Have a thought or opinion on the news of the day? Get on your soapbox and share your opinions with the world. Send us a Letter to the Editor!

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by JoomlaShine.com | powered by JSN Sun Framework