>   .
   Terry Gomes
   Antelope resident Terry Gomes died Oct. 15, 2006, at East Cascade Assisted Living Center at the age of 86.
   Mrs. Gomes was born April 21, 1920, in Portland to parents Arthur and Nellie (Depp) Torgler. She married Don Gomes Sr. on Sept. 8, 1940, in Portland.
   The Gomeses moved to Antelope in 1975, where they owned and operated their family ranch. Mrs. Gomes was a very good seamstress and used her talents to teach sewing in the 4-H program for many years. She enjoyed playing bridge with her lady friends and she and Don also played a lot of bridge with their friends. She also enjoyed traveling with her husband.
   She attended the Antelope Community Church and at one time was active in the Jefferson County Cowbelles, serving as president. She was a member of the Oregon Cattlewomen's Association and American National Cattlewomen's Association, and was a past president of both the Antelope Home Extension Study Group and American Legion Auxiliary of Antelope, and was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
   Survivors include her husband, Don Gomes of Antelope; sons and their wives, Don and Candy Gomes of Antelope, Gary and Mary Gomes of Antelope, Jeffrey and Colleen Gomes of Tustin, Calif.; grandchildren and their spouses, Shane and Kristina Gomes, Chris and Fatma Gomes, Joshua and Lisa Gomes, Elisabeth and Brent Humason, Julia and Dan Flude and Bryanna Gomes; great-grandchildren, Cord Gomes, Ebe and Gary Gomes, Justin and Joel Gomes and Benjamin Flude.
   Funeral services were held Oct. 20, at Bel-Air Colonial Chapel in Madras, with final disposition at Mount Jefferson Memorial Park Cemetery. Memorial contributions have been suggested to the Alzheimer's Association. Arrangements were under the direction of Bel-Air Colonial Funeral Home.
   Reba Hamon
   Reba L. Hamon, a Prineville resident passed away on Monday, Oct. 16, 2006, at her home in Prineville. She was 78.
   A celebration of her life was held Oct. 19, at Prineville Funeral Home, officiated by Pastor Dusty Flegel.
   Mrs. Hamon was born in Shidler, Okla., on April 22, 1928, to William Ernest and Bernie (Hohstadt) Briggs. They came to Oregon in 1937 and to Prineville in 1948. She married Noah Hamon in Stevenson, Wash., in 1953.
   In Prineville, she worked in the potato fields, at the mills, and as a waitress for many restaurants for several years. She was a dispatcher for the Prineville Police Department for 10 years between 1963 and 1973. And at the Department of Motor Vehicles in Prineville, then was a manager of the Madras DMV, retiring in 1989.
   She loved to play golf and was a member of the Redmond Country Club. She enjoyed traveling all over the world including Ireland, Greece and Europe, and was a past member of the Prineville Eagles Lodge.
   Survivors include her daughter Sandra Hartley of Auburn, Wash.; sons, Randy and his wife Sue, Ron and his wife Sheri, all of Prineville, Don and his wife Samantha of Redmond; brothers, Lonnie Briggs of Roseburg, Dale Briggs of Bend; sisters; Marie Neville of Ojai, Calif., and Laverne Scott of Kalispell, Mont.; 10 grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.
   She was preceded in death by her parents, one daughter, Cindy, one brother, and one sister.
   Memorial contributions may be made to the American Cancer Society. Arrangements were under the direction of the Prineville Funeral Home.
   Martinez Heath
   Martinez "Peanuts" Heath, a former renowned thoroughbred jockey and son of the late Warm Springs Chief Nathan Heath, died of natural causes in Warm Springs Oct. 16, 2006, at the age of 61. Mr. Heath was one of nine children born to Nathan and Lilly Heath in Simnasho, on May 4, 1945.
   Heath was nicknamed Peanuts because of his size. As a youth he was active in the Boy Scouts and was the state marble shooting champion. At the age of 16 his prowess as a jockey was being recognized around the race tracks in the Northwest.
   Legendary jockey Johnny Longden saw the young Heath ride at Portland Meadows as an apprentice and quickly took him under his wing. The Hall of Fame jockey said, "He has all the natural ability and it is up to his own desire as to how far he will go in racing."
   In 1963, Heath rode seven winners in one day at Fresno, Calif. In 1966, he rode 105 winners. In 1967, he rode Renewed Vigor to victory in the Equipoise Mile in Chicago. Heath was the regular rider on champion thoroughbred Nodouble.
   In 25 years of riding, Heath rode at major race tracks in the Bay Area, Southern California, Chicago, New York, Detroit, St. Louis, Florida, New Orleans and the Northwest. He was a force to be reckoned with on the race track. His fellow jockeys affectionately called him "Injun Number Nine."
   Martinez, or "Marty" as he was known to his family, always had a quick smile and made friends wherever he traveled. On more than one occasion, he mentioned how he rode with the great Willie Shoemaker. "Shoemaker was called `the shoe' and I was called `the moccasin,'" Heath chuckled.
   In the mid-1990s, when the tribe was getting ready to open a casino at Kah-Nee-Ta, Marty applied for a job. The general manager told him she couldn't hire him without a GED. The next day Martinez was back with his GED. The general manager was stunned. Martinez had passed his GED test with one of the highest scores ever achieved at Warm Springs. His smile at the graduation ceremony told those who watched that his victory was as big as any he had experienced in his illustrious jockey career.
   Survivors include his daughters, Mariah Martina Heath and Tiffany Rose Heath; three grandchildren, all of California; brothers, Warm Springs Chief Delvis Heath, Sanders Heath and Benson Heath; and sister Nola Queahpama, all of Warm Springs. He was preceded in death by his parents, two brothers and two sisters.
   Bel-Air Funeral Home in Madras is in charge of the arrangements. The dressing was held at the Simnasho Longhouse Oct. 18, followed by overnight services. Burial was at the cemetery at the mouth of the Warm Springs River.
   Lura McCaulou
   Longtime Madras resident Lura Mabel McCaulou died Oct. 17, 2006, in Madras, at the age of 93.
   Mrs. McCaulou was born Dec. 9, 1912, in Madras to homesteading parents Fred and Elizabeth (Corwin) Green. In 1916, the family moved into town where her father was the city water superintendent and served as the city marshal, and her mother was elected county treasurer in 1924.
   Lura was 13 when the steel Crooked River Bridge was being built. When it was completed in 1926, she and her sister Vera were in one of the first cars to cross the new bridge. Decades later, when the current Crooked River Bridge was completed in 2000, Lura was again invited to ride in one of the first cars across at the opening ceremonies.
   She attended school in Madras, graduating from Madras Union High School in 1932.
   On July 15, 1942, she and Walter McCaulou were married in Portland. They owned and operated Thrifty Drugs in downtown Madras and a variety store until their retirement.
   She was a member of the First Christian Church and the Madras Garden Club, and enjoyed playing bridge, flower gardening and traveling.
   Survivors include her son, Fred McCaulou and his wife Jeanee of Sisters; grandchildren, Jeff and Scott McCaulou; and great-granddaughter, Illa Rose McCaulou. She was preceded in death by her parents, her husband, a brother, and a sister.
   Funeral services were held Oct. 24, at the Madras Christian Church, and burial was at the Mount Jefferson Memorial Park Cemetery in Madras. Memorial contributions have been suggested to the Jefferson County Historical Society or the First Christian Church. Arrangements were under the direction of Bel-Air Colonial Funeral Home of Madras.
   Clara Ogilvie
   Madras resident Clara Evelyn Ogilvie died Oct. 10, 2006, at Mountain View Hospital, following a long-term illness. She was 63.
   Mrs. Ogilvie was born Sept. 8, 1943, in Marion County, Ore., to parents Wilbur Dee and Nellie May Woosley. She married Allen Ogilvie on Aug. 26, 1960, in Waldport, Ore.
   In 1971, she began waitressing at Alice's Restaurant (now Deschutes Crossing) near Warm Springs. She later worked in Madras at the Townhouse Restaurant, The Shangri-la, J&L Truck Stop, and retired after waitressing 20 years at The Stag Restaurant.
   She enjoyed being a mother first and foremost. She had a heart for helping anyone, and was known for being very dependable, social and hospitable.
   Her special interests included bowling, bingo, dancing, shopping with friends, and having a social coffee at the Truck Stop in Madras with her many friends.
   Survivors include her husband, Allen Ogilvie of Madras; sons, Timothy and Lonnie Ogilvie; sisters, Florence, Elsie, and Doris, all of Waldport; brothers, Louis, Frank and John, all of Waldport; three grandchildren, Alexis, Tyler and Austin Ogilvie, of Madras; and numerous nieces and nephews. She was preceded in death by her two daughters, Debbie and Brenda, and her parents.
   A memorial service was held Oct. 18, at Living Hope Christian Center in Madras, followed by a reception and luncheon at the Madras Elks Lodge.
   Aaron Saldana
   Aaron Saldana was diagnosed with a mental illness in March of 2005. He went missing on June 1, 2006, and his remains were recovered on Aug. 26, 2006, in the Metolius area, near N.W. Dover Lane, approximately two miles from his home.
   Aaron was born on July 17, 1985, in Madras, at Mountain View Hospital and was delivered by attending physician, Dr. Lieuallen.
   Aaron graduated from Gibson Adventist Elementary in June of 1999 and Madras High School in June of 2003. He attended two years at Portland State University while pursuing a business degree in marketing and advertising.
   Aaron loved music, sports, people and animals. While in high school, Aaron participated in journalism and wrote for the high school newspaper. He also participated in cross country and varsity baseball and lettered in varsity soccer. Aaron played guitar beautifully and was self-taught.
   He leaves behind his father, Rene Saldana; mother, Jessica Saldana; brother, Andrew Saldana, all of Metolius; sister Erica Torres of Smyrna, Georgia; his maternal grandparents, Victor and Magdalena Muniz of Metolius, and paternal grandmother, Maria I. Saldana; and numerous aunts, uncles and cousins.
   A memorial service was held on Sept. 9, at the Iglesia Bautista Conservadora Bilingue (Bilingual Conservative Baptist Church) in Madras. The service was officiated by the Reverend Anibal Vasquez and Youth Pastor Jim Leach from the Living Hope Church, where Aaron had attended the youth group meetings.
   Aaron was a giver and truly cared about others, especially the homeless. He often donated his time and limited financial resources to the homeless. For those wishing to honor Aaron's memory, the family has asked that donations be made to your local homeless shelter.
   Wanda Sykes
   Madras and Metolius resident Wanda Ivine Sykes died Oct. 19, 2006, at the age of 88.
   Mrs. Sykes was born June 24, 1918, in a sod house on the prairie of Decatur County, Kan., to parents Homer and Grace Earnest. She grew up on the farm and attended eight grades in a one-room country school. She and her brother Loren boarded in town when they started high school, going home on weekends.
   The family moved to Nyssa, Ore., in a Model-A which pulled a homemade trailer packed with all their belongings. The whole family worked in the crops during the summer. She finished high school, graduating from Nyssa High School in 1937, then got a job doing housework.
   On Nov. 25, 1941, she married young construction worker Art Sykes, who was soon called into World War II. During the war, Wanda worked as a bookkeeper for a grain elevator and saved all her earnings. Combined with Art's military pay, they were able to buy a 26-acre piece of farm property on Elbe Lane near Metolius. They lived in Ontario and Nampa before finally moving to their farm in 1952. Art built a house there and they raised Ladino clover, hay, and sold eggs and cream from their cows.
   Mrs. Sykes worked briefly sorting potatoes at the Metolius potato plant, then was a homemaker while also driving to Bend get supplies for her husband and brother's building and carpentry business.
   She was a very active member of the Mud Springs Grange in Madras for over 50 years, and ran the Grange's fund-raising Madras Flea Market for over 30 years. She also belonged to the Veterans of Foreign Wars Auxiliary in Madras, was a 50-year member of the Metolius Live and Learn ladies' club, and worked on the Jefferson County Election Counting Board for 20 years. She enjoyed visiting with her family and friends, reading, and writing in her diary. She was featured in an article in the Madras Pioneer on Oct. 27, 2004.
   Survivors include her daughter, Karleen Contreras of Culver; brother, Loren Earnest of Madras; and six grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her husband Art Sykes in 1998, her sister Vivian, and her parents.
   A graveside service was held Oct. 23, at Mount Jefferson Memorial Park Cemetery in Madras, with arrangements under the direction of Deschutes Memorial Chapel in Bend. Memorial donations have been suggested to the American Cancer Society, Jefferson County Library, or Hospice of Redmond and Sisters.
   June Siwicki
   June Cumley Siwicki died Oct. 17, 2006, at Mountain View Hospital at the age of 80.
   She was born June 4, 1926, in Darby, Mont., to parents Arthur and Louise Cumley.
   She was a devout Christian. Her special interests included gardening, and animals of all kinds, including five young skunks that she fed after they lost their mother. In her younger years, she was involved with 4-H, Girl Scouts, and was very active in the Humane Society. Her favorite pastime was spending time with her grandchildren.
   Survivors include her daughter and son-in-law, Kim and Jesse King of Madras; brother, Del Cumley of Montana; grandson, Jacob King of Boise, Idaho; and granddaughter and her husband, Janile and Logan McQueen of Eugene; and great-granddaughter, Icis McQueen, also of Eugene. Janile is currently serving the in Oregon National Guard in Afghanistan. She was preceded in death by two brothers, Owen adn Bill Cumley, and sister Alice Nulliner, all of Montana.
   Graveside services will be held at 10 a.m., Saturday, Oct. 28, with a celebration of her life held afterwards at the First Baptist Church in Madras. A memorial service will be held later in January.