Newberg man convicted in August 2017 attack that left the woman near death at former mill site

The Newberg man who brutalized his girlfriend in the summer of 2017, leaving her for dead after stabbing her multiple times, will call a prison cell his home for the next 35 years.Lindsay

Matthew Nathaniel Lindsay, 26, faced decades more time in prison for the August 2017 attack on his girlfriend in the former Westrock newsprint mill in Newberg. Originally he faced multiple charges of sodomy, assault, menacing, theft, kidnapping, coercion, strangulation, unlawful sexual penetration, rape, unlawful use of a weapon and attempted murder in the attack that left his girlfriend near death.

However, Lindsay pled guilty to first-degree charges of sodomy, rape and kidnapping, attempted murder, strangulation, unlawful use of a weapon and unlawful sexual penetration in exchange for having the other charges dropped. The agreement was struck between his counsel, McMinnville attorney Mary Biel, and the prosecutor, deputy district attorney Holly Winter. The sodomy, rape, kidnapping and attempted murder charges are Measure 11 crimes that carry with them stiff mandatory sentences.

The circumstances that led to Lindsay's incarceration came to light on Aug. 7, 2017, when officers from the Newberg-Dundee Police Department and the Yamhill County Sheriff's Office were summoned to the former Westrock newsprint mill in Newberg by a security guard who discovered a woman in medical distress in an abandoned machine shop at the mill, according to a probable cause affidavit filed by YCSO Detective Todd Steele.

The victim, identified in court documents as "V-1," was transported via Life Flight helicopter to a Portland hospital with multiple stab wounds.

When investigators arrived at the mill they located a knife near what they described in the probable cause affidavit as a large pool of blood on the cement floor. They also found Lindsay's wallet. Based on their investigation, officers determined that the victim had been raped, sodomized with a foreign object and stabbed by Lindsay.

Lindsay was found a short time later in Newberg, his clothes stained by what appeared to be blood. He was arrested and taken into custody without incident before confessing to binding the victim's wrist and stabbing her twice.

"Matthew Lindsay admitted his intent to kill the victim and that when he left the crime scene he intended for V-1 to die," the affidavit said.

A further investigation by law enforcement determined that Lindsay and the victim had been in "a sexually intimate relationship" for several weeks prior to the attack and that Lindsay had forced the woman to engage in sexually deviate intercourse, which resulted in first-degree sodomy constituting domestic violence and coercion charges.

As part of his sentence, Lindsay was ordered to receive 20 years of post-prison supervision and enter substance abuse and sex offender programs. Monetary assessments, including attorney fees and fines, were waived by Circuit Court Judge Cynthia Easterday.

"You're paying your dues for your conduct," Easterday told Lindsay during sentencing May 8. "It was horrible conduct. It was extensive and cruel."

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine