Commission gives preliminary OK for 20-lot subdivision
A proposal to construct a 20-lot subdivision on Springbrook Road in Newberg received preliminary approval from the Newberg Planning Commission despite some pushback from neighbors.
The proposal for 112 N. Springbrook Road calls for the construction of a development of single-family homes on just under four acres of land designated R-2 (medium density residential). The property is owned by Larry Anderson and the applicant is Jason Phillips of West One Homes.
Planning staff recommended adopting the order for the planned unit development, which planners did Thursday. The order will be effective Jan. 25 and the applicant has one year to apply for final plan approval.
However, the plan was met with some neighborhood pushback. Aaron Prince, owner of a nearby property, wrote to the planning commission in December ahead of the public hearing. He said he was concerned about the loss of privacy with the proposal for the new construction, as well as the overlooking views from new houses, loss of sight, drainage concerns and boundary fencing. A major concern he had is that one of the lots would allow for a home to be built just 12 feet away from his house.
"The windows in this home will look directly into our children's bedroom while also blocking all direct sunlight," Prince wrote.
Prince also said that another planned home would have two upstairs bedrooms looking out "over our outdoor living space in the front yard. Given the minimal setback this home has, the opportunity to plant trees for privacy seems unlikely and places a burden on us to find some way to maintain a comfortable, private setting for our front yard."
Other concerns ranged from further privacy issues of house windows overlooking their property; drainage concerns since the Prince property is lower than the proposed development, which could lead to runoff; and a lack of boundaries between the properties.
"In the end, this development will benefit the developer significantly, but will place a substantial burden on us, the homeowner, if we wish to maintain the privacy, exposure and boundaries we previously had," Prince said. "There has been a lack of consideration to us in the decision to use up-size homes in lots seven and nine and as a result we must express our objections to the development unless this is resolved."
Quality local journalism takes time and money, which comes, in part, from paying readers. If you enjoy articles like this one, please consider supporting us.
(It costs just a few cents a day.)