Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



Police and fire personnel stop the woman, transport her to PNMC for a mental health evaluation

A Newberg woman was stopped by police and fire personnel from leaping to her death Wednesday afternoon onto the Newberg-Dundee bypass.

According to a release from the Newberg-Dundee Police Department, officers were summoned to the Wynooski Street overpass near the defunct WestRock mill at about 3:25p.m. Wednesday by a caller that reported there was an unidentified woman attempting to climb over the steel safety fencing.PHOTO COURTESY OF NDPD - Officers from the Newberg-Dundee Police Department and firefighters from Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue wrestle a Newberg woman down a ladder truck Wednesday afternoon after she attempted to jump off the Wynooski Street overpass onto the Newberg-Dundee bypass.

"Officers responded to the scene to find the female all the way over, attempting to jump off and into the traffic below," said NDPD Sgt. Jeff Kosmicki.

NDPD officers successfully stopped the woman from jumping, pinning her to the fencing while they waited for a ladder truck from Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue to set up on the bypass below, Kosmicki said.

"The woman was fighting with officers the entire time trying to get free and jump," he added, explaining that the officers didn't climb the fencing but rather grabbed the woman's clothing through the webbing in the fencing. "They were also able to get a handcuff on one of her wrists and attach it to the steel webbing as well."

Despite their efforts, the woman didn't surrender willingly.

"She was stomping on (the officers') hands and trying to peel their fingers off of her while attempting to push off of the overpass. They were holding onto her for over 40 minutes until we could get her secured to the ladder."

The officers were able to secure the woman to the ladder truck and safely remove her from the overpass. She was taken to Providence Newberg Medical Center for a mental health evaluation, the results of which were not disclosed due to federal regulations.

Kosmicki said no criminal charges were anticipated as of Wednesday afternoon.

The NDPD and TVF&R were assisted in the effort by troopers from the Oregon State Police and workers from the Oregon Department of Transportation.

Quality local journalism takes time and money, which comes, in part, from paying readers. If you enjoy articles like this one, please consider supporting us.
(It costs just a few cents a day.)

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine