Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



Anthony Mark Gonzales, who faces charges in the January 2018 death of the Newberg man, allegedly violated arelease agreement in Washington County

Beaverton resident Anthony Mark Gonzales, one of two men arrested in the January 2018 murder of a Newberg man, has been returned to jail on allegations he violated a release agreement.Gonzales

On June 12, Yamhill County Pretrial Services Officer Samantha Harrington filed a motion saying Gonzales violated a July 2018 release agreement by making contact with a victim in a Washington County case.

"On 6/11/2019, Pretrial (Services) received a police report from Beaverton Police Department stating that on 5/31/19 the defendant was angry at the alleged victim because the alleged victim wouldn't pick up defendant from Oregon City and became violent and destroying the home of the alleged victim and had cornered the alleged victim in a room while holding a baby," Harrington wrote in the motion.

A warrant for hindering prosecution was issued for Gonzales' arrest on June 18, then rescinded soon after he was arrested in Newberg.

Gonzales, 28, was arrested by Newberg-Dundee police in May 2018 on allegations he aided in the murder of Newberg resident Jack Alan Burnell in an alley on Second Street adjacent to Nap's Thriftway in January of that year. Gonzales is alleged to have aided the primary suspect in the murder, Rees Gilmore Dikeos, 21, who was charged with murder.

Although Gonzales was charged with murder as well as hindering prosecution charges, he was freed on a release agreement in July 2018.

Arrests made in shooting death

Dikeos was apprehended in Las Vegas in May 2018 and a search warrant was executed at his Lake Oswego residence that same day. Gonzales was arrested the following day at his residence in Beaverton.

According to a probable cause affidavit filed by Newberg-Dundee Police Department Detective Joe Eubanks, officers responding to a 9-1-1 call at 11:41 p.m. on Jan. 12, 2018, discovered Burnell's lifeless body. He had died from multiple gunshot wounds, a medical examiner determined later.

"(Witnesses) told officers that Burnell was there to meet an old friend of his who goes by the name "white man," Eubanks wrote in the PC affidavit.

Neither witness knew "white man" personally, the report said. Witness 1 said he had seen Burnell messaging the alleged assailant over Facebook that evening and that Burnell went to meet with the man prior to his death.

"(Witness 1) said Burnell was nervous about this particular meeting with "white man," Eubanks wrote.

A second witness told officers he had heard Burnell refer to "white man" as Rees or Brees in the past and also supplied police with an access code to unlock Burnell's phone, which officers used to determine that the so-called white man was indeed Dikeos.

"Messages found on the phone outlined a plan for Dikeos and Burnell to meet one another in Newberg at Naps on the night of the homicide," Eubanks wrote. The probable cause affidavit indicated that the two men did not speak face to face, but instead communicated through Facebook messages and phone calls "up until moments before Burnell is shot to death."

The last phone conversation ended just prior to 11:39 p.m. on that night, the investigation determined, while video surveillance cameras at the bottle return area at Nap's showed shoppers "turning to look in the direction of the gunfire" approximately a minute later. The first 9-1-1 call reached Newberg dispatch just over a minute after that at approximately 11:41.

In February 2018, according to the probable cause affidavit, Eubanks and another officer met with a confidential source who claimed to have information about the homicide. The informant confirmed that Dikeos used the Facebook moniker of "Hwhite Mahn" and said Dikeos had been robbed the night before in Salem in an alleged gun deal that resulted in gun fire. "Dikeos felt like it was Burnell who set him up to be robbed," Eubanks wrote, perhaps precipitating a plan to exact revenge.

The NDPD investigation determined that Dikeos was driven to Newberg by a friend, perhaps Gonzales, the night of the murder and that Burnell was shot with a handgun "during what he set up to be a drug deal."

Eubanks contacted Salem police on March 1 and received a report that verified that shots had been fired on Jan. 11 at America's Best Value Inn at about 10:45 p.m. A witness to that shooting "was shot at by (Dikeos) when the (witness) told him to stop." A phone and six shell casings were found at the scene of the shooting, Salem police said, adding that the phone was confirmed to belong to Dikeos.

A forensics examination of shell casings from the Salem and Newberg shootings confirmed that the same .45-caliber handgun had been used in both instances. Further investigation by the police determined, with assistance from Facebook staff, that a phone registered to Dikeos was used to log onto the "Hwhite Mahn" social media account the day following Burnell's murder in Newberg.

A jury trial in Gonzales' case has been set for July 9 before Yamhill County Circuit Court Judge Ladd Wiles. He appeared at a trial readiness hearing last week.

Dikeos' troubles mount

Dikeos was charged in May with harassment after allegedly attacking a fellow inmate at the Yamhill County jail. However, that charge pales in comparison to the trouble he faces in Marion County, where he was charged last year with attempted aggravated murder, unlawful use of a weapon and first-degree attempted assault. Those charges stem, according to an indictment handed down by a Marion County grand jury, from the shots he fired at a witness at the Salem motel a day prior to Burnell's murder.

The Marion County case appears to be on hold until Dikeos faces trial in the Burnell death in Newberg. He remains incarcerated in the Yamhill County jail and his trial is tentatively slated to begin on July 8, with a trial readiness hearing slated for the day prior. Prosecutors and Dikeos' counsels, attorneys Ted Coran and Carol Frederick, had been negotiating a settlement in the case up until late May, but an agreement has not been reached, according to a report filed May 29.

Quality local journalism takes time and money, which comes, in part, from paying readers. If you enjoy articles like this one, please consider supporting us.
(It costs just a few cents a day.)

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine