Newberg family rescued from apartment fire
At 1:30 a.m. Tuesday morning, a call went out to local first responders about an apartment fire in the 1000 block of River Street in Newberg. Firefighters from Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue, along with officers from the Newberg-Dundee Police Department, were immediately dispatched to the scene, where a family of three was reported trapped inside the residence.
NDPD officers arrived and entered the front door of the apartment to find heavy smoke. They witnessed the family preparing to jump out of a second story window in order to escape the blaze, so officers drove a patrol vehicle around the back of the building and used it as a platform to help them down.
All three members of the family made it out of the apartment without injuries.
Firefighters from TVF&R as well as the Dundee Fire Department arrived soon after, checked the apartment for any remaining occupants and extinguished the fire in about 10 minutes – which a release from NDPD said prevented the spread of the fire to other units in the building.
Officials say that while the family wasn't harmed, they will be displaced as a result of the fire. Red Cross is assisting them with temporary housing in the interim.
The cause of the one-alarm fire was an accident, the NDPD release said, caused by "a baseboard heater that ignited a Christmas tree." TVF&R took advantage of this situation to remind people that all combustibles should be placed at least three feet from heaters in the home.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.