Support Local Journalism!        

Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.

FONT & AUDIO

MORE STORIES


An indictment alleges the Newberg man also recorded the sexual abuse of a child and attempted to disseminate it online.

A Newberg man, arrested in August on allegations he sexually abused a child for nearly 18 months, saw the charges against him mount in early September.

Police and prosecutors allege that Vincent Warren Carlson, 41, sexually abused a then-5-year-old girl over the course of nearly a year beginning in January 2021 and continuing through August.

Carlson was originally charged with 10 counts of first-degree sexual abuse, five counts of first-degree sodomy and a single count of first-degree unlawful sexual penetration. However, a grand jury met on Sept. 1 and returned an indictment that added five counts each of using a child in display of sexually explicit conduct and first-degree encouraging child sexual abuse.

The grand jury added the using a child in display of sexually explicit conduct charges based on evidence that alleges Carlson compelled the "child to participate in or engage in sexually explicit conduct for a person to observe and/or record in a photograph …" and points to specific digital files.

The first-degree encouraging child sexual abuse charges were added to the indictment on allegations from investigators that Carlson, over a 20-month period from January 2021 to August 2022, attempted to disseminate and sell video recordings of his victim involved in sexual acts.

Under Measure 11, adopted in Oregon in the 1990s, the mandatory minimum sentence for first-degree sexual abuse is 75 months, for first-degree sodomy 100 months, for first-degree unlawful sexual penetration 100 months and for using a child in a display of sexually explicit conduct 60 months. The judge in the case has the discretion of levying the sentences either consecutively or concurrently should the defendant be convicted of the crimes.

The case began when a friend of the girl's family alerted the Oregon Department of Human Services of the alleged abuse. The ODHS then forwarded the allegations to the Newberg-Dundee Police Department, where Det. Daniel Fouch was assigned to the case.

Interviews with the girl's mother, documented in a probable cause affidavit written by Fouch, said the girl told her mother that Carlson had been playing a game that involved manual and oral contact with Carlson's genitalia.

"I was present when (the mother) called and spoke to Mr. Carlson about what he had done …," the affidavit said, alleging that Carlson admitted during the call to having had mutual oral and anal contact with the girl, masturbating in front of the girl, showing the girl adult and child pornography and recording the girl in sexual situations.

During a subsequent interview on Aug. 23 by Fouch and a fellow detective, Carlson admitted to repeated and varied sexual contact with the girl, the affidavit said.

Carlson was arraigned on the charges on Aug. 25 and bail was set at $150,000. McMinnville attorney Mark Pihl was assigned to defend Carlson in court. He is next scheduled to appear via a telephone conference on Sept. 22 for a plea hearing.


You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.


Have a thought or opinion on the news of the day? Get on your soapbox and share your opinions with the world. Send us a Letter to the Editor!

Go to top