John W. Cox
Born October 8, 1924 in Miller, S. Dakota to Oren and Mary Cox, John was the youngest of six children. The family moved to the Boring/Estacada area in 1935, and to Mt. Pleasant in 1942.
John entered the Navy in July 1943 becoming a signalman on LCI 551 which delivered troops into Normandy and South France. After his Navy service, the family bought a farm on Carus Road, which remains in operation by John's sons.
While farming, he also worked at the Canby Case dealership in 1948 and 1949 and the Standard station from 1949-1961. He began work at Canby Motor Parts in 1961. From 1971 to 1986, he worked at Hiway Auto Parts, ultimately retiring to work on the farm, full time, for 34 more years!
While at the Standard station, he met Betty Merz of Macksburg; they married in September 1950. Betty, and sons Stan and Jim remain on the family farm; daughter Becky Osborne and her husband, Allen, live directly across the street.